GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in an earlier post, I am trying my first ct, (a Michelin Alpin PA3), and I have a question.

But first, my bike is a '07 that I bought new. I usually ride two up, and half of that is with a trailer, (Bushtec). Regardless of what I read on the "General Message" board, I have always gotten 33mpg riding two up, and 30 mpg with the trailer. About 90% of my riding is on the interstate, running 70-75.

At the same time I installed my ct, I also installed a set of E3 spark plugs. Probably has zero to to with anything, but I did do them both at the same time. I only mention that here, because you all seem to be a bit more open minded than most on the General board. Anyway, I have ridden several hundred miles since my install, and I am getting 39 mpg two up, and 37 two up plus the trailer.

No bs, really. I've checked and double checked.

I am finding it hard to believe either change I've made would cause such a difference. And no, I am not about to uninstall either just to see what happens.

So, what's up? My bike took 20,000 miles to break in, and it just happened to do so now. This Michelin rolls so much easier than the Avons, (both Venom and Cobra), that I use to run? A spark plug is a spark plug, right? As long as it doesn't miss.

Any thought? It is ok to say bs, I know I would. I am just both happy and confused.

Regardless, I absolutely love this PA3. For my riding style and skill, (or lack of), I find no negatives with this car tire what so ever. I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Mack

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I really don't pay much attention to gas mileage because it seems every ride we do is different in some way that could cause the mileage to be different from tank to tank. However, yesterday, I was riding with a friend, we both topped off prior to leaving, I was 2up and he was solo. He has a MT and I have a BMT. When we pulled in to the gas station to top off, I put in 4.6 gallons and he put in 4.3. Thats as close to logging mileage as I get! Sorry I couldn't help! :shrug:

And welcome to the Darkside!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No spark plugs aren't spark plugs, but no matter what it won't give you a noticable mileage increase, especially like that. They could give you a HP boost, but I doubt that if you aren't a top fuel type racer, it won't make a big difference. A thousandth of a second is just that and could be a benifit to those folks.

The tire could have made some difference but again that is a large gain. Doubtfull that would be all of it perhaps a little from the combination though.

Have you changed gas stations? Has your station changed supplier? That or a riding change would be where most would start the search.

Either way, :congrats: on the new sneaker and windfall.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you got rid of the Ethanol or Alcohol additives and started using straight Gasoline that would give you better milage, but +6 and +7?? I suppose it's possible.
Whatever, just say thank you and don't change anything! :bow:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
What's that old saying?

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all. Gas is a possibity, but I buy from different stations. BP, Shell, Gulf, etc. I am taking the attitude, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Being the pessimist I am, I have the feeling something bad's going to happen. Everything is just working out to good. Murphy's Law applies to me.

But, until then, I couldn't be happier. :)

Mack

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
YOUR SCARED YOUR GONNA CRASH N BURN WITH THAT TERRIBLE TIRE ON BACK SO YOU USE THROTTLE LESS:shrug:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tyre size

Miles Per Gallon.Has the gallon changed? I think not.Has the miles changed? Possibly.When I changed over to the khumo darkside I had a 6Km change in the speedo.So what i am trying to say is ....does the size of tyre change the calculation?Hence the better mpg.Just a thought .

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
MPG = Many People Greatful :tongue:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
MPG = Many People Greatful :tongue:
I could come up with stuff like this if someone would send me some Darksider cookies!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
826 Posts
increase mpg

Any number of factors could be involved. Are you calculatiing your mpg using Honda miles off your tripmeter, or are you using gps miles. If the circumference of the new BMT is greater than on the old worn moto sneaker, that might be your answer.
I did a couple of thousand miles in Canada this summer and used non ethanol gas at some if not most stations and got better mileage than here at home in Southern Illinois where nearly all gas sold is ethanol enhanced [actually more like degraded]. then again the speed limits are lower in Canada and that would increase gas mileage.
The obvious solution to your quandry is to use gps miles for the next 1k miles, buying gas from the same station and check your mpg. then remount your motosneaker and do the next 1K leg using gps miles and buying gas from the same station. Unless you do that you will forever be tormented with the nagging doubt of your unanswered quest for the TRUTH!!!! LOL:22yikes:
Andy

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've just done some checking on my mileage and here is what I've come up with:

I'm riding a 2010 Wing with 17,000 on it, with a Dunlop ROF Wintersport CT under it. About 60% the riding is 2-up, and the rest is 65-75mph highway riding to work. I don't drive it like a 20yr old on a crotch rocket but I do twist the grip a bit hard from time to time. :lol:

Before the move to the Darkside, I was getting about 40-42mpg using a regular 10% ethanol unleaded. Over the last couple weeks or so I've run about 3 tanks each of the regular 10% unleaded-87 octane, and a non-oxygenated that's 91 or 92 octane. I wanted to get a good average of riding conditions included for each so I wanted at least 500 miles per.

Totally unscientific results:

MT w/10% unleaded = 42mpg

CT w/10% unleaded = 42mpg

CT w/non-oxygenated high octane = 47mpg

The non-oxygenated stuff is about $.30/gal more but I haven't done the math to see if it works out to be cheaper in the long run because I really don't care. I think the engine has a bit more "snap" with it and for an extra $1.50 per tank full, I like it!

minnitman

·
Registered
47 Posts
As mentioned in an earlier post, I am trying my first ct, (a Michelin Alpin PA3), and I have a question.

But first, my bike is a '07 that I bought new. I usually ride two up, and half of that is with a trailer, (Bushtec). Regardless of what I read on the "General Message" board, I have always gotten 33mpg riding two up, and 30 mpg with the trailer. About 90% of my riding is on the interstate, running 70-75.

At the same time I installed my ct, I also installed a set of E3 spark plugs. Probably has zero to to with anything, but I did do them both at the same time. I only mention that here, because you all seem to be a bit more open minded than most on the General board. Anyway, I have ridden several hundred miles since my install, and I am getting 39 mpg two up, and 37 two up plus the trailer.

No bs, really. I've checked and double checked.

I am finding it hard to believe either change I've made would cause such a difference. And no, I am not about to uninstall either just to see what happens.

So, what's up? My bike took 20,000 miles to break in, and it just happened to do so now. This Michelin rolls so much easier than the Avons, (both Venom and Cobra), that I use to run? A spark plug is a spark plug, right? As long as it doesn't miss.

Any thought? It is ok to say bs, I know I would. I am just both happy and confused.

Regardless, I absolutely love this PA3. For my riding style and skill, (or lack of), I find no negatives with this car tire what so ever. I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Mack
I think alot of it is due to the lower rolling resistance of the CT.
I also ride mostly 2 up, and I am getting about 3 mpg better with the CT.
33 mpg and 30 mpg sounds very low, have you changed your air filter lately?
I usually take 2 hrs out of a saturday in the spring and change mine, makes a difference, I get 38 - 42 mpg @ 75 mph with a full load, (trailer and the SO).

·
Registered
693 Posts
milage

I too changed my plugs and got a 7 mpg increase. I have a car tire on it because thats all I run and my riding is the same.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have one of those Ecopia LRR tires and I bet it added 10 miles to the take full. Maybe more as I ain't watching it all that close.
And to add to the LRR, the 195/55-16 Ecopia is only a 19 pound tire and that is even lighter than a Dunflop E3.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts