GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I posted a question about why my bike wouldn't start (intermittently). It was suggested by several members that the battery cables were not tight enough. I tightened cables and still have the same problem. However, now I have definitely narrowed it to the "kill switch." The symptom is...when I turn the key on and press the starter switch, nothing happens. I can turn the key off/on several times with no effect. I can turn the kill switch on and off several times with no effect. However, if I press "down" on and release the "kill" switch, the F1 light flickers and then the bike will start. It does seem to choke on this start though. Afterwards, it acts just fine. Anyone know what the problem with this switch is and if it is an easy or expensive fix?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just realized I should have referred to the "on/off" switch as the "kill" switch so as not to cause confusion. If I press down on the "kill" switch the F1 light will flicker and it will start. Sorry if that was confusing. Going back to change the original post.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No warranty. Bought it used about 5 months ago. I've been searching the web for prices for a new switch and can't find any for sale.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
can't find a new switch ? there are plenty of new switches out there

your post really does not give any indication as to exactly what u are riding

·
Registered
202 Posts
your post really does not give any indication as to exactly what u are riding
What???? His avatar has a picture of his ride....................:razz: That may be the reason he can't find a kill switch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm riding a 2001 GL1800. Everytime I try to find a switch, all I find are key switches. Thanks for the ebay link. At least I know they are out there. That one was for a 2004-06 model unfortunately. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
I'm sure a search of the Honda breakers will be able to furnish you with a suitable switch.
unfortunately its down to the guys over there to tell you where they are, im too far away to know ;)

good luck with the solution.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh man, you guys are awesome! Service bulletin...perhaps covered by warranty on an '01...I may be in heaven. Thanks guys, I'll be visiting the local Honda dealership on Monday to check on this. I don't think the original owner had any of the recalls done on this bike. The saddlebag latch has not been fixed and as far as I can tell, it has not been inspected for cracks (at least not according to the missing hole punch mentioned in the service bulletin). I was going to have Honda pull it up to find out if the crack inspection had been done on Monday. I'll just add the latch and now the ignition switch to my list. Thank you...thank you !!:bow:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
If they balk, push hard, as they said it is a safety issue. Call Honda Corporate from the service-desk's phone if you have to.

Go to http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp and enter 35013-MCA-000 to order the part (today only $107.34 +s/h) to get an idea of their cost.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts