GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if I should do the ECM fix or not. My '02 has never overheated, and I have always had the opinion "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since it has been awhile since this fix has come out, has anyone that had it done notice any detrimental effects (performance, mileage, etc)?
Going riding a little later, she has been lonely in the garage lately!
Thanks in advance for any replies, and have a Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still Undecided

I got my ECM changed and it helped the shifting on the lower end as it shifts smoother and I also gained 2-3 miles per gallon on the milage. I'm glad I got it done. No problems here.

Don

·
Registered
816 Posts
ECM Change

Now that it's done, I'd do it again in a minute. Just make sure that they follow all the steps. I think my bike runs as well, if not better, than before.
It only overheated four times, but each time was in a situation where overheating was a problem. Once on 90 durning the Hoot in heavy construction traffic, twice in Eureka Springs Arkansas, and once in the parade at Wing Ding in Madison. After the change out, I tried to get it to overheat and it never budged.

I've not checked the mileage but several here think it's improved. So this looks like a win-win.
:luf1:

·
Chard Member
13,221 Posts
I can't tell any difference in mine after the ECM change. The only way I knew they worked on it was the smell of the hot coolant they spilled onto the engine.

Look at it this way. You get a free coolant change and they might install a new air filter for you for a small charge while they are in there. Do you need your cruise control adjusted? They can do that at the same time also!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am holding out to do mine until I am ready for another air filter.. and good call RED, I'll have'em do the cruise adjust too!!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
02 also

Mine hasnt been done eigther. But in the spring I'm going to install my new CB and do everything except take the shelter off. My cruise needs adjusting so when they to the ECM, I'll have all the other stuff done at the same time. I'm gonna let them do the work instead of me. :yes:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If nothing else, it gave me a little piece of mind about riding it at low speeds. Mine never did overheat, but was rising in temp. rapidly once while following a truck uphill in a no pass zone. It hasn't even tried to overheat since, and I live in a pretty good test zone for overheating in the summer time. :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
My '01 has only tried to over heat one time, but then, I've only been in an overheat situation one time. That was over 2 years ago. I still plan on having the change out done, but I'm in no particular hurry. I'll probably have it done this spring sometime. I will be selling or trading this bike in some day, and it won't sound good when the buyer or dealer ask if the ECM change was done and I say no.

What the heck. It ain't gonna cost ya anything. From all the reports I've read on the board, the bike either remains the same, or improves performance wise. What ya got to loose?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Rob - I was in the same situation as you, my 01 Wing had never overheated in any type of situation and had been virtually a joy the entire time I had driven it for 40,000 miles. I was concerned about rocking the boat and having a bad situation turn out of what for me had always been good. Several friends had theirs done and had virtually no problems so I finally gave in last August to having mine done. To date, no problems, still a great bike and no adverse results in any way.

My recommendation, either go ahead and get it done now, or wait for another year and see more results of others that have done it and consider doing it then. Personally, I'd lean in the direction of doing it, put it behind you and not be overly concerned about any adverse affects of any kind.

Good luck whichever way you go,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
From all the reports I've read on the board, the bike either remains the same, or improves performance wise. What ya got to loose?
Theoretically you have nothing to lose... but I just hate having the wrenches at the shop tear my bike down that far... every time they do I seem to end up with a screw missing, or a non-stock screw substituted for one that was lost, or... :?: :evil:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I had my 02 done this fall. I feel like Red in that the only way I can tell was by the smell when I got it back. Mine had not evan gotten close to getting hot but I have a different problem. They went ahead and changed mine because the cooling fans come on for no apparent reason. You can be setting at a stoplight and they will just come on. The temp. gauge has never been over half way since I bought it. They went ahead and changed it to see if it would help. On the way home it done it again and the outside temp. was only 59 deg. They are supposed to get hold of Honda and see what to do next. I does not hurt anything, but it can get annoying. The only way you can get it to quit is to shut the bike off and restart it. I tried riding it out and cooling fans will keep running sometimes and sometimes they will shut off.

As a matter of fact this post just reminded me I need to get with them and see if they found out anything........... :) I guess I am not really upset about it as some people would get. That is the nice thing about warranties......... :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
IB Mike said:
[quote="Jim Mathis":3nom5if8] From all the reports I've read on the board, the bike either remains the same, or improves performance wise. What ya got to loose?
... but I just hate having the wrenches at the shop tear my bike down that far... every time they do I seem to end up with a screw missing, or a non-stock screw substituted for one that was lost, or... :?: :evil:[/quote:3nom5if8]

I know exactly what you mean Mike. I hate having them take my bike apart. In fact, I trust my dealers service shop so much, I'm going to look for a different one to do the change for me. :? I just get a bad feeling every time I take my bike in for anything. There's one in Tucson I'm going to check out one day soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had mine changed out about a month ago, and have noticed no adverse effects. I did have a little pinging when I really got on the throttle, but that's gone now. Also, as mentioned before, the shifting does seem to be a bit smoother. Gas mileage hasn't changed (40-42 MPG). I did over-heat twice in hot weather prior to the changeout, but haven't had a chance to really test it since I had it done. After all the reports I've read, I would dare to say that I won't overheat again. Also, I agree that if you do not have it done and you go to sell your bike or trade it in, you might not get as good of a trade-in as you could, or your looker might lose interest. I say GET IT DONE and put it behind you.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey Rob...

I was debating on having mine done. And since it was done, I am glad I did. It seems to have better control on low end throttle action and also seems to be more quiet on take off. A little better on the gas mileage also. I had mine done up at Champion on Dorchester Road. :D Any question give me a shout.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts