GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I've been troubleshooting an issue with Lady Galadriel, my '08 'wing with Airbag. You can see the thread here:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211979

I've made an appointment for Friday with the dealership from whom I bought the 'wing to have their service department confirm my theory that the CB antenna load is bad. The service tech I spoke with told me that he believed the CB & Antenna may NOT be covered by the extended warranty, and that they're usually only covered for one year? :eek:4::eek:4: The entire CB rig is OEM Honda, and was installed by said dealership before I took initial delivery of the Lady.

I'm gonna go home after work and read up on what I can, but might someone here be able to shed any light on whether I'm gonna get shafted by the stealership or dealt with properly by the dealership?

Many Thanks :bow::bow: // Ian

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Don't bend over too far and take a cig with you to the dealer.

Coverage is 1 yr warranty on cb...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I could be wrong... but it's my understanding that any & all accessories... IF INSTALLED BY THE DEALER PRIOR TO DELIVERY... are covered under the original & any subsequent continuing extended warranty.

:?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...As much as the damn things cost, and as cheap as CB's are they should be under warrantee for the like of the bike!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I believe that all electonic components are covered for 1 year only. Regardless who installed it.

Even your audio am/fm radio is only covered for 1 year.

Read your owners manual.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Isn't dealer installed options, when the bike is brand new before initial delivery, covered under the 3 yr warranty?

Read your own post..., audio equipment - one (1) year

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had to have my CB replaced because the original (dealer installed) unit got wet when the compartment got water in it from the bottom. It was just after the one-year point, but my dealer was good enough to sneak a new radio in under warranty. It was close, though, since they first said I wasn't covered! To say I was frustrated would be an understatement, which is probably why they came through for me. Spending a thousand bucks for a fifty-dollar piece of electronics is bad enough once, let alone twice!!

So to answer your question, the CB warranty is for one tiny little year only.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No disrespect meant, but I'm sick of hearing all this talk about the Honda CB being a $50 radio, etc... That's simply not true. There is not a $50 CB radio on the market that will plug and play with the Goldwing intergrated audio system. If you want to do this, the price is around $600. If it's not worth that to you, then don't buy it. If talking on a CB is really important to you either spend the money, or buy a $50 CB and figure out a way to use it on your bike. My opinion anyway.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sure are a lot of assumptions being thrown out here. Can't say as I blame anyone, however. I think the warrenty language leaves a lot to be interpreted by Honda, unfortunately. Yes, as the warranty reads, "Audio" components are covered for 1 year. But is a CB an "audio" component? I wouldn't think so. The radio, for sure, and maybe a CD player. I was also told by my dealer that the CB unit would be covered by the full 3 year factory warrenty IF he (the dealer) installed it. I just assumed that was true, but how in the heck do I find out? I sure as heck wouldn't ask the people on this board. Yer all as confused as I am!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Stock CB&antenna warranty

NoVa,

When I bought my '08, the dealership's Parts Manager told me, for what it is worth, the warranty would be the same as the standard bike warranty, three years, if the dealership installed the cb on the bike. Otherwise the warranty would be one year on a cb. The printed warranty others posted showing a one year warranty on audio products says what it says, while leaving some room for question and discussion, and perhaps interpretation.

If you have a legitimate factory defect, and there is a question of whether or not Honda will cover it under a "warranty claim", the dealer can and probably will seek a "policy adjustment" from his Honda Service Rep and still try to get the defect covered by Honda under "policy" instead of "warranty". The Service Rep will probably consider which claim is easier to pass through his system and act accordingly.

The deal will be a matter of semantics between the dealer and Honda, and the repair costs may be proportioned between the dealer and Honda (and maybe include YOU!) depending on the severity of the problem and the length of time after initial delivery the failure occured.

The take home message the dealer should, and probably will, impart to Honda is that customer satisfaction, in this case YOUR'S!!!, is worth more than the cost of a cb antenna (if that is the problem). Most dealer/manufacturer relationships provide for such discretion on the part of Service Reps and they usually have discretionary funds available for such situations.

Hopefully your dealer and Honda will resolve this dilemma to everyone's satisfaction and you will have your cb repaired to proper operation, at no additional cost to you.

Steve McTeer
NRV, VA.
'08 Metallic Red ABS GL1800 with hopped-up front suspension, needing new tires (Stones on the way!), and no cb (yet!).

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
read page 22 of the CB owners manual, it's clear as can be, the CB radio warranty is 3 years from the date of purchase, makes no difference who installed it

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
read page 22 of the CB owners manual, it's clear as can be, the CB radio warranty is 3 years from the date of purchase, makes no difference who installed it
Please remember that the CB antenna is sold separately and may be considered under different warranty.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As one who has had MANY audio related issues on my 01 over the years, I will tell you that Honda will replace the radio, the CB or the CD player up to 3 years.

However, it is clear these items are NOT covered even one day longer than three years as the extended warranty does not cover audio. Now, here is the kicker. If Honda replaced your CB at 2 years, nine months, guess what? You warranty still ends at three years. No extension due to the new CB having a minimum of one year. The warranty follows the bike, not each component.

Sort of unrelated but not really, Honda replaced my CB three times over the first three years. In year 6 we found out the issue was actually the radio all along. Honda said "no way, your warranty is up" and no coverage even though the problem was diagnosed incorrectly three times before the warranty expired.

Someone else mentioned that the Honda warranty leave alot opened to interpretation. You are correct. The way it is written, the Honda tech people can claim anything is "normal wear". The question is whether that would hold up in a court of law. I have still not decided whether I'm going to test that.

Back to the original question. Your CB on your 08 should still be covered under the 3 year as should the antenna.

Best,

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There is not a $50 CB radio on the market that will plug and play with the Goldwing intergrated audio system. If you want to do this, the price is around $600.
...Currently for the CB that is true, however, there's now a $129. MP3/Ipod player that's 'plug-n-play', with a 15 month warranty, for the Goldwing that replaces Honda's $600 CD player (BikeMP3.com). It's even controlled from the handlebar switches, and it can hold 8GB of music. It's just a matter of time if the market is there for a CB. I'm really suprised that someone on this board has not taken their wiring Goldwing diagrams and found a way to hook up an aftermarket in the trunk like so many other 'fixes' have been done. If Honda wants to keep the business, they will need to provide a product with high quality at a reasonable price or lose it to the aftermarket competition. Even then, I'm sure Honda will hold onto some of the business, like Harley does, from those out there with deep pockets wanting the 'prestige' of the HONDA NAME on the equipment.

:nojoke:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the Lady to the shop last week, where I purchased her. Service manager confirmed with District Service Rep that the CB is covered by the 1 year audio equipment warranty.

Good news is that I'll be taking her back to the shop, most likely tomorrow, so they can take the CB head unit and send it to be repaired, as a gesture of good will.

When they were checking her out last Friday, they did say that they found water in the CB antenna base ??? :shock: :shock: Is there something I need to do besides be more vigilant in keeping her covered when I'm not riding? I don't have a garage, so she lives happily (I hope) in a parking spot in front of my townhouse. I alternate between a Covermax day cover and a full-cover for longer breaks between rides.

Thoughts? Comments? I'm happy they're trying something, yanno? I hope they'll be able to tell me what they find.

Thanks // Ian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all -

Meant to update you a few weeks ago and it totally slipped my mind. lol

Shenandoah did tell me that the CB head unit was covered by the standard audio system warranty (1 year). That said, the district manager offered to send it out for repair as a gesture of good will after they found the water in the compartment.

They sent my CB head unit to California for repair. They contacted me about 10 days later to say that the repair center informed them that the head unit was irreparably damaged. :shock: They then informed me that the District Manager was paying to have a replacement head unit ordered and installed! :bow: :bow:

They have installed the new CB head unit and I've since found a slightly loose connection where the (stock) headset connector plugs into my helmet... Ahh well..

While the CB was being installed, I mentioned to them that I was unable to break the acorn nuts for the trunk brake lights loose. I'm not a little guy, and even with two hands on the nut driver, I got nowhere.

They attempted to break them loose, only to find they couldn't either. Sooooo, they've ordered two replacement brake light assemblies for me, which are scheduled to be installed tomorrow.

Fun fun :D

Cheers // Ian

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Sounds like the dealer really went to bat for you. I'd give a place like that as much business as I could.

Seems it was agreed you weren't covered, and they not only tried to repair your cb free of charge, but installed a new one when it couldn't be repaired. Sounds like it was water damage which would have voided the warranty anyway(unless another Honda defect caused the water damage).:congrats:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like the dealer really went to bat for you. I'd give a place like that as much business as I could.

Seems it was agreed you weren't covered, and they not only tried to repair your cb free of charge, but installed a new one when it couldn't be repaired. Sounds like it was water damage which would have voided the warranty anyway(unless another Honda defect caused the water damage).:congrats:
I do applaud them for going to bat for me, and I will give them what business I can. I do wonder though, perhaps the original grommet was not installed correctly, who knows.

If it were an option I'd installed incorrectly myself, I would have been totally understanding if they'd not gone as far as they did to make things right. Given that they installed it at the time of purchase, I wonder if they may have found something amiss with the original install when they removed the original head unit.

Either way, I'm happy :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts