GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to extend the height of the standard Honda drivers backrest? I really don't want to buy a different brand since I already paid for this one but it would be great if I could get another 3 or 4 inches in height. I guess I could make a bracket extender and have it anodized but bolt on would just be awesome! Mine just sits to low to give me the support I need, I'm 6' 1" tall.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I think making something or finding someone else to make it are your only two options. I have a Show Chrome backrest and I made an extension for it. My results were not 100% perfect as I got one of the threaded holes just slightly out of line, but it is not that bad. I also sanded and painted it with 3 coats of black with plenty of dry time each, baked it for a little while; let it cool for clear coat and baked the clear coat. I have had good luck with metal parts holding the paint better doing that.

Side affect of Helibars, at least for me....

I do not know what the OEM backrest looks like for mounting and brackets, so I don't know if something similar to what I did will work or if something else would have to be done to raise it up.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I think your only hope is a new bracket between parts 8 and 10 and hope that part 9 still connects to the same spot on the back of 8...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
take the back rest (#8) to an interior upholsterer. Once stripped of material, fabricate a larger base panel and have it recovered. I have short legs but long in the trunk. I liked the Honda backrest. Purchased a custom seat and backrest and it's HUGE. Looks too big and a bit tall for comfort. I miss the Honda backrest.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are all great ideas. I'm thinking of using some 2' wide 3/8" aluminum, drilling 4 holes with two holes for the seat and two for the bracket. I'm guessing I'll need to find a stiffer spring to give the right resistance for leaning back. I'll give a try. Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts