GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the possiblility of both of the running/fog lights going out at the same time? Do they have an inline fuse? I checked all the fuses in the fuse block beside the battery and found all of them good. I removed the left pocket to try and get to the switches but am not sure how those switches come out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to clean the flasher switch but the fog light switch has always worked.

Thanks,
Oscar

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I don't know what the odds are, but it is certainly possible. Earlier this year I was on a group ride to Daytona. When we stopped, one of the riders noticed that my low beams were no longer working. I too thought it highly unlikely that both bulbs had gone out simultaneously. After checking all the obvious things I learned that the bulbs had indeed burned out. I had recently installed some inexpensive bulbs made in China. Now I know why they were so cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. Was warming up bike after night shift and everthing went dark. Checked all fuzzes after limping home on axsilery lights. Took it to dealer, both bulbs burnt out at the same time. I had good slyvania bulbs in mine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
fog lights out

First things first, take off the lower cowling, and check if there is current to the two wires going to the fog lights. I dont want to insult your intelligence, but do you have a multimeter or test light? If affirmative and there is current to the wires, then you have two bad bulbs. Otherwise if there is NO current, then it is a whole new ballgame. I went through this and finally took out the oem switch, ran a relay and separate fuse to the battery and triggered the relay from the low beam headlight wire. Now I can't turn off the fog lights, they come on whenever the low beam light is on.
I chose to wire it that way, if you want the ability to turn off the foglights, then install a waterproof toggle switch in the same space that the oem fog light switch was located in.
Andy

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. After posting this, I went out and figured out how to take the switch panel out and once I had it out, I wiggled the switch a little with the key on and the lights both came on. Now going to look back over some of the switch cleaning threads and hopefully not lose a spring while cleaning them. I am so afraid of cracking all that plastic when dissassembling parts and pieces! :eek:4:

Update. Got in a mode to tackle this issue and cleaned both the hazard light switch and fog light switch, put dieelectric grease in them, working like new. The old grease was more like glue than grease. Cleaned the front brake switch too and now I am good to go! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts