GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked on another board if most Goldwing riders keep their stock seat or get a custom seat? Below is my response to him-

"As for the stock seat or custom, alot depends on you. Are you tall,
short, big or small? How does the stock seat feel when you ride for
long distances? Or, as some people have done, just change out the
seat because they like the look and feel of a different type of
seat.

As for me, I have long legs and I probably will get a custom seat
along with a Utopia backrest. There's a company in Austin
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/ that modifies the stock seat of a
goldwing. You can do a seach on the message board I sent you earlier
and read what Wing riders say about this seat. Don't know if he does
BMW's. He has demo seats you can use to see if you like them. I'm
going to try to get to Austin this spring and try one out.

As for your original question "do most Wing rides keep the stock seat
or get a custom seat?", I really don't know."

Ok, John, the weather :rain1: :snow1: has to get better so I can get to Austin to visit you..

Should I have put this out as a poll instead of just a question?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

David

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Wingsoft has a 98% satisfaction rate according to John. I was in the 2%. I bought the Wingsoft Large and the problem might have been caused by too much foam having been cut away making for inadequate back support for me. However, I had also been spoiled by a Diamond seat that allowed me to sit up higher and farther back than Wingsoft. I eventually went with a Russell Day Long which was slightly better for me.

However , you will find very few people dissatisfied with his seat and it is certainly the most economical.

Take the link in my signature for several review of different seats.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Stock seat works just fine for me... when I am traveling I often ride
700+ miles in a day.. a few times have done over 900 ... I do have a backrest... a Markland........

cosmic

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been riding the '01 with the stock seat, an Air Vent cushion, and a Utopia backrest and find that to be a comfortable set up for rides when I'm out for two or three weeks at a time, and doing several hundred miles/day.

For short day rides, I often leave off the Utopia, and if it isn't too hot out, I'll leave off the Air Vent, too.

I don't find the stock seat to be all that uncomfortable...especially since I added Reg Risers a couple of years ago so that I am sitting more upright. I'm 6', 270#, 32" inseam, and 35 " sleeve. The Reg Risers/setbacks got me sitting up more and eliminated that feeling that I was always sliding forward...crushing the family jewels as it were. THAT made the stock seat a LOT more comfortable for me. IMHO I've always found that there was sufficient butt/tail bone padding....Probably a combination of both mine and the seat's, I guess.

So, I don't think that I'd bother changing out the stock seat any time soon...if ever.

Sorry for the long "NO" answer :oops:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mr. T T, I wasn't really happy with the stock seat on my then 2002 GW. Bought a Diamond seat (cloth covering) with their backrest and the seat was made to my measurements. I'm 6'1" and 235lbs with a 32" inseam. Love the seat. It gives me more room and less butt burn. Have since moved on to a 2004 GW and I transfered the seat to it. I have a total of about 60,000 miles on the seat and it is still doing a good job for me. Also, the set of ****-o-Pegs on my bike has made a significant improvement in long distance rides. Hope this helps.

GaryO :D

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
OEM works fine for me

If it doesn't for you check out the options

I think 80% stick with the stocker
and maybe 20% aftermarket

Wingsoft seat seems to be a big value for modified seats

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
plenty of wings out there with custom seats thats forsure

i think most folks are using the stock seat

the stock seat works great for me, in fact the stock seat fits me better than any of the custom seats i have tried, every rider is different what works great for one might b hell for another

actually about the only seat change i would want is to have it heated

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
seat

I just got a new hartco seat recently. It seats me back 1.5 inches. I'm 6 ft 3, i love the additional room, and the seat feels really good so far. :)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
ddking said:
Wingsoft has a 98% satisfaction rate according to John. I was in the 2%. I bought the Wingsoft Large and the problem might have been caused by too much foam having been cut away making for inadequate back support for me. However, I had also been spoiled by a Diamond seat that allowed me to sit up higher and farther back than Wingsoft. I eventually went with a Russell Day Long which was slightly better for me.

However , you will find very few people dissatisfied with his seat and it is certainly the most economical.

Take the link in my signature for several review of different seats.
I am also in the 2% as it just did not work for me either. We (wife and myself) test rode it for well over 200 miles and the wife and I both decided it was not for us. I felt the mileage we rode it was sufficient enough to get an honest feel of how it would be. I wish it had worked as the price is more than fair.

I am glad it has worked for the other people who bought it.

Ross

·
Registered
45 Posts
The stock seat gave me hip cramps when riding, put pressure on my groin, and hindered my legs when putting down my feet. I'm 5' 10" with 30" inseam. In short, I hated it! My new Ultimate "midrider" with backrest is now broken in and feels great. No more problems although it is costly, but worth it. :wink:

G

·
The newly redesigned heated Corbin..awwwww , nice ! The stock seat is too gushy until the foam dies, then its teeyou.
Better control and comfort with the Corbin, and she sure looks nice, not like some seats that look like an overstuffed hippo or somebodies velour pyjamas. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts