GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at my records and I have replaced 5 headlight bulbs on my Wing since last June! That is $100 in SilverStar replacement bulbs. Something is wrong somewhere. And, it is a different bulb each time.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I have been riding for approx. 44 yrs. and have owned many different bikes but have never had so much bulb failure as the GL1800. On the other hand I have never owned another touring bike as sweeet as the GL1800.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
riding 30 years never replaced a headlight on a motorcycle

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Headlights

I had the right high beam go out last summer. It went out again last month, and again last night. Geesh. Same one every time, each time it was a different kind of bulb. Last one was a Silverstar from Wal-Mart

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've run both Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra in my Avalanche and it's just my opinion but, given the silverstars run hotter to get a whiter light, they burn out a tad faster.

Your results may vary ;)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had the right high beam go out last summer. It went out again last month, and again last night. Geesh. Same one every time, each time it was a different kind of bulb. Last one was a Silverstar from Wal-Mart
With a track record like that; it isn't the bulb. You have an electrical issue.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Are you replacing both bulbs at the same time, or just the one that goes out? I've read that if one goes out, you should replace both. I know both my lowbeams went out within a few days of each other. BTW, if your bike is still under warranty, head light bulbs are covered.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Stop buying Slyvania bulbs and you'll stop having failures. There are many reports on here of the Silverstars burning out prematurely, and I have been told the same thing by auto parts guys.

Phillips Vision Plus series (EC sells them) are the best brand I have used in term of both beam brightness and longevity.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Bulbs

Yes, I replace both bulbs at the same time. I have owned this bike since October of 07, this is the third time the right high beam has gone out. None of the others have. I run all my lights all the time. Only time the high beams are off is night when meeting on coming traffic. I was headed home from Fire Department meeting last night, saw the right beam go out, then came back on for about 5 seconds and went back out for good. Both high beams were replaced on Feb. 2, 09

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulb. The oils from your fingers will make them go out quicker. You probably knew this but just thought I would tell you if you didn't.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Silverstar bulbs very well known for very short life

there is a board member that sell 2 regular H7 bulbs for $10 delivered to your house with a free lifetime replacement warranty included

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
On the Sylvania website they are straightforward about the life of the SilverStar bulbs. They tell you they dont last as long as a regular bulb. They are quite expensive but they sure to put out a white light. I have them in my truck and GoldWing and like them except for the short lifespan. They are very bright white.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Well guys, I don't have any issues with Silver Stars burning out. I have them in my Hyundi and VW and Wing. That's 12 SilverStar bulbs installed and in just over two years I have had two burn out. The extra light from them over any others I have tried is worth it to me.
One thing I do is to wipe down every bulb with Isopropyl before installation, just to be sure they are clean and no fingerprints.

I buy mine at Canadian Tire and they have a one year warranty on the bulbs.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stop buying Slyvania bulbs and you'll stop having failures. There are many reports on here of the Silverstars burning out prematurely, and I have been told the same thing by auto parts guys.

Phillips Vision Plus series (EC sells them) are the best brand I have used in term of both beam brightness and longevity.
Now that's good information!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Is bulb replacement covered under the extended warranty as well?

Joe
Mine have all been replaced under Ext. warranty with exception to the one I had replaced at Harrison a couple years ago. Fred H. did it for me. I could not get my hand in and twisted enough to put the bulb in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts