GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question, not sure if it's a problem or not. Got an 06 wing with ABS, tires have 8800 miles on them. After reading here about tire pressures and cupping I raised my pressures to 41 front and rear. On the way back from WOTS and BBQ noticed a slight hum coming from front end. On investigation found I have slight cupping on front end.

Any ideas on this, I thought raising the pressure should deter cupping not cause it?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I run about the same pressure in my tires as well

On my 05 with the D250 Dunlops I noticed that at about 8000 miles the front was starting to cup and the "humming" as well.

Maybe it is the nature of this tire??

·
Registered
922 Posts
Radar, with 8k on your stock tires, if you just now raised the pressure I would say the damage has been done. Mine cupped at 4k and I replaced them at 5k. The e-3'3 lasted 10k and I am now on my second set. I think running the tires at recommended pressure leads to the comfy ride, but I want more than 5k out of tires. I am very pleased with the E-3's running 42 front and rear. I do have the decel wobble, but never noticed it until I started reading this board.....So now I will try progressive springs and re- installing the Superbrace. The Superbrace has amplified the wobble, but I like the stiffer ride it offers.

Good luck with whatever brand of tire you choose.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Might as well add to the agreement here.........

The same thing happened with my OEM Dunlop D250's, but it became really more pronounced at almost 12000 miles. We were riding on a winding road (Rte. 62 in NW PA) at moderate speeds, and my wife and I noticed the humming had worsened. The tires had cupped somewhat and were down to the point where they would be dangerous had we encountered heavy rain.

A new set of ME880's fixed that the day after we got home.

·
Registered
501 Posts
They ALL cup, no matter what air pressure you run. I think it is just the radial tires no matter what brand.
Low pressure just speeds up the cupping. If you ride the super slab for awhile, just look at the tires, the
cupping shows up more because the center of the tire will be clean. I have tried 45# from new and they
still cup and make noise when you lean away from the center of the tire.(it just rides harder)
The Bridgestone's seem to cup the least, but have less life.
I never had this happen on bias ply on my 1500's, almot 300K miles, no matter what the pressure.
(never had a wobble either)
That said, I still believe the radial is the best riding and handling tire. It is just too bad the life is about 1/2
of the bias ply's. The 1800 was designed around the radial tire (swing arm) using a bias ply would not be
a good idea for handling or ride quality. I think going to a car tire is dumb. Yes, they will last longer but cars
do not lean in the turns so they do not need rounded corners, the road contact will be VERY small when the bike
is leaning into a turn. Think about that on a cold, wet road....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Blento,
Just want to clarify something. The SIZE of a tire's contact patch does not change markedly when cornering. The SHAPE however may change dramatically. Physics requires that for a given load on a tire it must have an appropriate sized contact area to support the weight. Tipping a car tire on its edge makes the contact patch get longer and narrower as the tread and sidewall deflect but there is still going to be about the same number of square inches of rubber making contact with the road as when it was upright.

Science, its for everybody.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,101 Posts
Try the Bridgestone's next. They are great tires that sticks well in both wet and dry, are quiet riding and wear (at least the front G709 does) very well with little or no cupping.

This is a picture of the Bridgestone G709 with 18000 miles on it that has always been run at 36 psi. The wear is very even and the tire is wore down to the wear bars. I was going to try get a few thousand more miles out of this tire until spring, but for the first time the tire slipped and slid a bit in a corner in the rain and that was a bit unnerving, so I replaced it with a new G709. I have no decel wobble, but I also have the upgraded Traxxion suspension.

·
Registered
272 Posts
With my OEM Dunlop D250's and 10,600 miles on them, I haven't noticed any cupping at all. They did start humming in the corners at around 7,500 miles on them, which seems to be a trait with the Dunlop's across the board, E2's, E3's and D250's. I will be replacing both tires at once, just as soon as I can locate a front Bridgestone G709. I already have the G704 Bridgestone rear, just waiting for that front tire. :?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
blento said:
I think going to a car tire is dumb. Yes, they will last longer but cars
do not lean in the turns so they do not need rounded corners, the road contact will be VERY small when the bike
is leaning into a turn. Think about that on a cold, wet road....
I will never go back to a motorcycle tire on the rear of my 1800. Your assumptions are false. A radial car tire allows the sidewalls to flex in a turn which keeps about half the tread width in contact with the ground when leaning in a turn. That is about 3 inches of width on the tire I am running. I have better traction under all riding conditions when compared to the G704 Bridestone and Metzler ME880 tires that I have ridden on. Once you adjust to the extra counter-steer you will find you can gas it harder in and coming out of turns without side slipping. It actually feels like the tire bites harder into the pavement as you feed it more gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts