GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have the non vented stock windshield in my 02 and it is in decent shape. I also have the Baker Mirror Wings to get plenty of airflow though never enough in the Va humidity. I wear ear-buds while riding the super slabs and have had trouble with a low reverberation in my ears at highway speeds. Sounds kind of like when you have one car window open and you get that low level buffeting. I was wondering if changing to a vented shield might help decrease that vacuum I believe is causing the noise and if it would make a real difference in airflow as I ride. I would imagine the stock vented shields will fit my bike and I see no reason to buy anything else unless you all can shed light on a must have that I might not be aware of. Thanks for your help....Joe

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My '02 now wears a vented shield. It does reduce/eliminate that low pressure zone of my Too Tall Tulsa sheild, not sure how they are in the stock version.

prs

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Joe, while not a fan of windshield vents, I do think the vent will help with the low-level buffeting you are experiencing. Yes, the stock vented shield will fit your bike.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It will make a large difference.

The additional direct airflow will decrease buffeting (air rushing in from the sides) caused by the negative pressure area behind the shield.

It will also provide directable and useful air when you want it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I still have the non vented stock windshield in my 02 and it is in decent shape. I also have the Baker Mirror Wings to get plenty of airflow though never enough in the Va humidity. I wear ear-buds while riding the super slabs and have had trouble with a low reverberation in my ears at highway speeds. Sounds kind of like when you have one car window open and you get that low level buffeting. I was wondering if changing to a vented shield might help decrease that vacuum I believe is causing the noise and if it would make a real difference in airflow as I ride. I would imagine the stock vented shields will fit my bike and I see no reason to buy anything else unless you all can shed light on a must have that I might not be aware of. Thanks for your help....Joe
A vent will help. There is no reason to buy a new windshield. Buy the vent and cut the hole in the windshield you have now. It's not hard. I used a rotozip saw to cut the hole and some sand paper to smooth out the edges.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I agree with the replys here. The vent is a must to have in my opinion. I think
they first started on the '05's. Just cracking it a bit improves the dead air
that causes the buffeting.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I guess Im different. My bike had a stock vented windshield. I have never had the type of low reverberation in the OP and that includes the many miles that I put on the bike in the winter with the vent closed. Im sure the vent would help, but I would think something else is contributing to this particular problem. Have you tried the windshield at different heights? Do you wear a half helmet? Im just trying to figure out why I have not received this problem with my vent closed?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes, it will make a difference. "Your mileage may vary" but IMHO there are absolutely no drawbacks. I think there's a reason Honda went to the vented shield after '03 (I believe it was). My '03 certainly didn't have it. I made a template and cut my own vent hole in the stock shield and added the vent. Very, very happy I did so.
BTW... at least with the vent I have, even closed there is still air flow directly up the back of the shield due to holes in the top of the vent.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Mine had the stock non vented shield on it up until a couple of months ago then I went to a vented F4+4, vent makes a big difference. Vent can be opened to different amounts depending on how much air I want thru it & is felt on my upper torso and neck area. Have had a few small pieces of bugs make it thru but mostly they don't seem to hit the vent area. I usually close mine when it is raining as rain will cause droplets to form & blow thru it. I haven't found any negatives to having the vent, at 5'8" it is out of my field of view riding down the road. I also have all the Baker wings but having the vented shield is a welcome addition which I would buy again.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have had the vented windshield since new (2004), and like having some air flow, especially at slow speeds in hot weather. The only down side I have seen is the mechanism that keeps it closed or partially open. After a couple of years, the handle tends to bend away from the vent (to the left), allowing the ball bearing to drop out. Having just replaced my vent (I am on my third one), I have another spare on the way from HDL.

One of these is handy if the latch fails and the vent is always open:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have an 03, I was hotter in warm weather and got negative pressure from the stock Windshield. I got a Vent kit from Direct Line. It never came with a Template.

SO I measure a Goldwing that had a Vent, Taped up my Stock Windshield and marked it twice and cut it once. I used a Electric Jig Saw at slow speed and stay on the lines I made. You could not tell it from a Vented Windshield now, looks great.

I got rid of the Negative Pressure behind the Windshield, no extra noise, more air on Hot Days and does not leak when it Raining. This is the cheapest way to do it. You can do it. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I purchased a new take off shield with a vent hole. I like the air directly in the center to add some coolness, on the nasty hot days.

·
Registered
494 Posts
vented wind shield????

I have bought three used w.shields from people in the past,
and I have tried every size and top edge cut,,
Yes the vent helps a little, BUT
The best shield that I have found is the NEW,,
WINDBENDER by FIRECREEK.
I put-it-on,,AND the dual shield design is,,
Inner shield is only 4 inches TALL,,
The outer shield starts two inches above the bike dash,
and continues past the inner by 18" or so inches.
with A 1" inch space between them.
The design works GREAT.
IT Drasticaly reduces the LOW-PRESSURE area behind the shield.
I used to think the NOLAN 102 helmet was the LOUDest helmet!!!
Now I really can hear the bike REV.and the Tires HOWL
IF you get a chance to GOOGLE,,
Firecreek.com ( then click-on windberder windshield.)
SOME people say it is loud at the HIGHEST position,,
I found that the Inside shield at the first lower notch,,
The OUTER windshield at the Third Position is GREAT!!!!
KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
643 Posts
I did the same as Loren did, makes a big difference :yes1: I then took a dremel and a belt sander to my old one. Ended up cutting it down 2" and rounded it down..turned out great.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I swapped out my '02 non-vented windshield for a newer used one w/vent and I love it! Best move I ever made! :thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went from solid to vented. I learned 2 things.
1. Rain blows through the closed vent and lands square in my crotch.
2. It's usualy too cold here to bother opening the vent. When I ride in warm areas it is nice to have though.
No buffeting issues either way with me.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I purchased a new take off shield with a vent hole. I like the air directly in the center to add some coolness, on the nasty hot days.

Same here!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Vent all the way. Something that nobody talked about is the added benefit of having a stream of air directly into the front of your helmet vent for better cooling. IMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts