GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Madstad, and it is great, just like my last one. The question is - what to do with my stock windshield? Sell it? Keep for an eventual trade in or sale - is the desire for a dealer or buyer worth enough to keep it as an item that may add more value than what it is worth selling separately?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have two old and very yellow OEM windshields to get rid of. They are in such bad shape that selling them both for a penny and I will be ripping someone off on the deal. They will not fit in the trash can, so I either need to cut or break them; or wait until a "free dump day" at a near-by church and wait in line a few hours to get in with them (and maybe a few other things).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm a woodworker and cut it up to use as a safety shield for tablesaw and router jigs.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Just put mine on the bike. It rotates with 3 other shields whenever I feel like a change.
I don't have air management issues (i.e. a passenger) so they all work for me. A set of old Tulsa hand wings and I'm good.
I think the stock shield has an undeserved bad rep around here, but that's just me.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
For all parts, I either sell or store. I never throw good parts away - what a waste! I have plenty of room to store parts. As a result, I've been the go-to guy for a few friends and aquaintences who need something quickly or cheaply. I had a GL1200 from 2003-2005 and I know it was getting harder and harder to find parts. It just breaks my heart to think that people who had parts just trashed them. I managed to save some parts from getting trashed and was able to find people who could use them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Save it. When you sell the bike put it back on and sell the Madstad separately.
Simple fact, aftermarket parts on a used bike do very little to increase the selling price.
But everybody that has a stock shield on their bike would consider buying a used Madstad to put on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Looks like if I offered you guys $100 or the old windshield, you would take the windshield. Just kidding.

I will put it in the basement - next to the 15" Memphis Shades windscreen (no hardware) from my old VStar.

Orrrrrr....maybe I will mount it to the 2015 Can Am Spyder I am looking at for $9k... (stirring the pot)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have one that's been listed as low as $40 with no takers, so I'm storing it under the workbench until the next time I move, then I'll throw it away.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm flush with windshields myself. Windbender on the bike. Just today got a Madstad delivered (wife, buffeting, cheaper than divorce). Two stock windshields that I'm tripping over from the current bike take off and the repair-in-progress other bike. In a piss-ant little one stall garage. It's tough here. The driveway is uphill. Both ways...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mine had been on a shelf ever since I found a deal on a wind bender. I keep too much stuff, just got rid of a GL1000 luggage rack that was collecting dust next to the windshield.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts