GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2011 Wing and when i get caight in the rain a puddle gets created between the vent and the top of the shield. talked to the dealership and they warrantied the shield the first time and replaced it. now yesterday was caught in the rain again and the same thing happened. couldn't contact where i purchased the bike since they have closed, so i called another dealer and talked to them and he told me that they have never heard such a thind and adding to this the water after it stops raining doesn't get blown off it just sits there no matter what speed i travel. my questions are, has any one heard of this or has this happen to them and what can be done? have an appointment to have the bike looked at. don't know what they can do since it has to be ridden in the rain to actually see this happen. and as luck woud have it my 3 yr warranty expired the 10th of this month:eek:4:

·
Registered
528 Posts
have a 2011 Wing and when i get caight in the rain a puddle gets created between the vent and the top of the shield. talked to the dealership and they warrantied the shield the first time and replaced it. now yesterday was caught in the rain again and the same thing happened. couldn't contact where i purchased the bike since they have closed, so i called another dealer and talked to them and he told me that they have never heard such a thind and adding to this the water after it stops raining doesn't get blown off it just sits there no matter what speed i travel. my questions are, has any one heard of this or has this happen to them and what can be done? have an appointment to have the bike looked at. don't know what they can do since it has to be ridden in the rain to actually see this happen. and as luck woud have it my 3 yr warranty expired the 10th of this month:eek:4:
I believe you may have mis stated the year of your wing. There was no 2011 Goldwing and if there was, you would still have 3 years left on your 3 year warranty. I am not following you on the puddle issue. Are you saying that there is a little bit of water that sits on top of the vent or that water runs down the back side of your windshield?

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Carry a towel and wipe the top of your vent along w/the back of the shield once the rain stops. I am amazed the dealer/Honda did a warranty replacement the first time for this.
I would have loved to seen the warranty claim write up:lol:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
With a 3 year warranty that expires this month, I assume you bought an 08.
By chance was your dealer Hatfield Motorsports?
I bought my 06 trike from Pete.
Sure miss the dealership.
Anyway, you have the same thing happening to you that everyone else has.
The rain is coming over the top and running down the back to the vent.
Sure doesn't sound like a warranty issue to me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
With a 3 year warranty that expires this month, I assume you bought an 08.
By chance was your dealer Hatfield Motorsports?
I bought my 06 trike from Pete.
Sure miss the dealership.
Anyway, you have the same thing happening to you that everyone else has.
The rain is coming over the top and running down the back to the vent.
Sure doesn't sound like a warranty issue to me.
:agree:It's called poor design. Whaddya care anyway? It's rainin... you're gonna get wet, rainsuit or not. :shrug:

Best advice: Live with it. Sorry to be blunt, but the only other option is to find a used shield without the vent, which I wouldn't want.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Mine doesn't do that - - I pull over under cover when it rains.

Pictures?

If you ride in the rain a lot - why don't you put some sticky trim above your vent to redirect the water elsewhere - - or drill tiny drain holes.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes that i did...opps!! it's an 08. sorry, am just a little put out that the replacement shield that was installed didn't change a thing. the puddle thing. i'll try and explain. when i look at my windshield at a slight angle for the side you can see that the shield has a slight deformity in it between the vent and the top of the shield. had some one else look at it and he seen it as well. and that is where the puddle forms. it's tough to discibe this without actually seeing it

·
Registered
340 Posts
pic?

One picture (side view) showing this distortion would be helpful.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
This is not normal
warranty

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
This is normal.

The rain blows over the top of your windscreen and runs down the backside of it. The shape of the top of the vent forms a little cubby area against the screen and water does indeed collect there - it has on all 3 wings I have ridden in the rain. There is no wind there no matter how fast you go, so water does now blow away.

It's not that big a deal really - it is just water... but if you really wanted to - drill a very tiny hole in the top of the vent so the water drains down from that area. Honestly though - it's a non-issue. After you wash the bike - dry the area with a towel so it doesn't spot. If it's raining - this is part of getting wet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts