GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Canada, and I believe all other markets except the US, start/stop comes standard on the DCT bikes.
It is defeatable in the menu.
I was talking to a guy who has an '18 DCT.
I asked him if he uses the stop/start feature.
He said he loves it and uses it all the time.

I'm curious.

Would you US DCT owners like to at least have it available to use on your bike?
Remember, you aren't forced to use it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Don’t know what that is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
It’s called Idle Stop. Engine quits running if it idles 3 seconds, starts up again as soon as you twist the throttle.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's called "Idling stop" pg. 28 Users Manual

Yes, more choices always better, but I confess I don't idle much on my rides, quite the opposite. ;)
...wait, yes at the gas station I actually stop and since I fill the tank from the seat, that's when I will use that !

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use it. A bit unnerving at first sitting in traffic waiting for a light to change with the engine ‘stalled’, but it starts immediately and ride away like normal.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don’t care for it most of the time in my truck. I am aggravated because default is “on,” so I have to repeatedly turn it off.

I would REALLY be aggravated by it on the Wing.

Mine is sitting at a long term 49.1 mpg. The tiny extra bit of idling stop would NOT offset the aggravation of getting smacked from behind in the half second margin it takes to restart.

YMMV ... literally.

Enjoy having it as I am enjoying NOT having to deal with it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
With Honda, the default is idle stop disabled, check the box to activate the feature. I doubt it saves much fuel unless you were stuck in stop and go traffic for hours, it does reduce heat, noise and vibration.

·
Registered
466 Posts
With Honda, the default is idle stop disabled, check the box to activate the feature. I doubt it saves much fuel unless you were stuck in stop and go traffic for hours, it does reduce heat, noise and vibration.
If default is off, that would be ok. There are times when it’s harmless. I suppose a driving force is the emissions in city traffic rather than the mpg.

I still don’t “wish it were available.” Just one more thing to pay extra for. How much are y’all paying for Gold Wings now? That’s a mighty expensive feature.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
I see no need for it in my cycle riding routine. That Honda has theirs OFF by default is a good thing. My daily cage has it as ON default and it is a nuisance in traffic lights where you only stop briefly. I hit the OFF button in my routine driving, leave it ON for longer trips. It seems to make no real difference in fuel economy anyway.

prs

·
Registered
807 Posts
Not 'Not' but 'He'll No'. Our Caddy has it and I hate it. Can be dangerous if it ever fails to start too. And it MIGHT save 6 oz's of gas over a year's time.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wow. What a tough audience. Some members here gnash their teeth and wring their hands looking to save a couple of bucks on an oil filter, but aren't interested in saving money on gas. (OK, sarcasm switch now turned OFF.)

My Canadian-spec 2019 DCT Tour has the Idling Stop function. The default setting is Idling Stop is OFF.

Do I use the Idling Stop function? No, because 99.9-percent of my riding is long distance touring. Idling Stop saves you the most gas (and money) in stop and go city riding, where you are constantly stopping and idling.

Do i like Idling Stop? Yes! I have it enabled on my Audi A4 which gets used 60-70-percent in city driving. Does it make sense to be sitting at a red light and sit there burning gas going nowhere? Not to me.

Does Idling Stop save you money? On a motorcycle, it's arguable, as they are relatively fuel efficient to start with.

But in a car or truck it's a different matter. Some time ago, British auto show 5th Gear tested a 1.4-litre Opel with Idling Stop to measure fuel savings, if any. They reported the manufacturer said Idling Stop would save about 10-percent in fuel use. They ran a route with Idling Stop OFF, then ran the same route at the same time of day with Idling Stop ON. They used 10-percent less fuel with Idling Stop ON.

One of the bike mags (perhaps a Canadian one?) reported that Honda said U.S. Wings would not be equipped with Idling Stop because they didn't believe U.S. buyers would want this feature. This thread pretty well proves them right.

Look, the U.S. has among the cheapest gasoline in the Western world, so fuel costs aren't a big deal for many Americans, and even to us in Canada where our gas prices are higher than yours.

Finally, to those who are opposed to Idling Stop because of the belief it's hard on starters, don't you think the engineers have thought of that and built it into build/reliability specs. And Idling Stop technology has been in use in cars and trucks for years now.

Tim

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The feature derived from the ‘Help Save the Planet’ mentality! Have you not seen all the ‘Stop Idling’ campaigns & stickers? Some cities have tried to make it against the law to idle more than 30 seconds when stopped at lights, waiting for children at schools, bus stops, etc.

·
Registered
466 Posts
But in a car or truck it's a different matter. Some time ago, British auto show 5th Gear tested a 1.4-litre Opel with Idling Stop to measure fuel savings, if any. They reported the manufacturer said Idling Stop would save about 10-percent in fuel use. They ran a route with Idling Stop OFF, then ran the same route at the same time of day with Idling Stop ON. They used 10-percent less fuel with Idling Stop ON.
Tim
And someone else can run a test course to show 25%, a third can show 1%.

This is easily gamed by choosing the course.

Either on or off, it’s in the noise level in my experience.

It’s different with hybrids. It is natural for hybrids to switch to EV for start ups, and no IC makes perfect sense.

Before retirement I developed and taught a graduate course on alternative fuels and power trains for mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineers. The guideline for average savings from addition of this feature is about 2% improvement in mpg.

If you spend all your rides in stop and go traffic, savings could approach 10%, but surely no one rides their bike exclusively in that environment. If your routes are primarily rural, which mine are, the savings will approach 0%.

As for the starter motor, I agree that the load is accounted for in the new designs. Also, it might be pointed out that in a 4+ cylinder efi equipped 4 stroke, it is possible to restart without a starter motor.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It came on my F150 and default is on. You can push a button and turn it off but it must be pressed every time the truck is turned on/off. I hate it and disabled it. The fuel savings is not worth it to me. I think the planet should be worried about a few other things first, but thats a discussion that we can not have here.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts