GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stopping distance of the 2012+ Wing from, say, 60 MPH?

I'd like to take a picture of my bike with a big ol' cone out there at, what? 125 feet, or is it more like 200 feet?

·
Registered
468 Posts
stopping distance

I think it is a multi answer question. Stock 1800, one up or two
abs. Give us the paramaters.
Billy:?:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Car tire,mc tire? Wet/ dry? 50 or 90 degrees? Rider, can push a Wing to its edge or never had the tack over 3,000. Only breaks for a DQ.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Instead of making this difficult, why not just use the numbers that magazines get? They go for optimum conditions to get the best numbers possible for consistency between bikes. Cycle World did a 2001 non ABS way back when, and came up with 128ft first pass, 132ft second pass. I'm going from memory, but for some reason those numbers are stuck in my head. (I have read the article a number of times.)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Way too many variables. So, standard motorcycle jock (test rider), riding one up, 60 to 0.

·
Registered
50 Posts
According to MSF, 90 ft.
MPH x 1.5 is good estimate to start with.

recently had a chance to experiment with this in an advanced rider course.
it was surprisingly pretty accurate at several different speeds.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm sorry, but 90ft is no where near close to the distance required to haul a Goldwing down from 60mph to 0mph.

Motorcycle USA tested a 2012 Wing and the best they could do was 141ft...

Motorcycle Consumer News tested a 2004 Wing and stopped it in 121ft.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Car tire,mc tire? Wet/ dry? 50 or 90 degrees? Rider, can push a Wing to its edge or never had the tack over 3,000. Only breaks for a DQ.

HA, i break for Dairy Queen too...

Shag

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I'm sorry, but 90ft is no where near close to the distance required to haul a Goldwing down from 60mph to 0mph.

chris, dont be bringing that science, actual experience and proven stuff to this forum, we like opinions

bwahhahaha

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Oh Boy, I guess I'll just get banned....

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
chris, dont be bringing that science, actual experience and proven stuff to this forum, we like opinions

bwahhahaha

Guess nobody wants the actual formula then, huh? :joke:

d (distance) = S (speed) squared over 30f (f is coefficient of friction).

·
Registered
957 Posts
Reaction time is about .75 seconds. You will travel 70 feet in that time alone before applying brakes. :22yikes:

·
Registered
19,990 Posts

I would not be surprised to see the later model Wings with longer stopping distances. The bike keeps getting heavier, and the brakes are the same. My 02 is officially 793 lbs dry, which we figured a long time ago translates to about 870-880 lbs wet.

Upper 120's to low 130's are a respectable number, even for a sport bike. The Wing stops very well for such a large bike. The problem is, those numbers are not very realisitic for the average Wing rider. By the time that 150 lbs of chrome and accessories gets added, those distances will get much longer. And that is not to mention that very few Wing riders are the same size as the 160 lb runt doing the testing for the magazine. :lol:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well Guys, I'm the goofball with three rear wheels and different tires mounted on each wheel, Stone 704, Alpin, Yoko Evigor ZPS. I also have practiced maximum white knuckle panic stop test with this '12 Wing on wet, dry, and other various conditions. I'm no expert, I'm just not comfortable unless I know my bike.

I have a '12 Air Bag with ABS, Monotubes, Buckskins Triple Tree, Disabled Anti-Dive, Riding Single, Bike Empty, I weigh 180 lbs.

This test was on a cool dry asphalt road.........150's is darn good, for my test it was more like 163' stopping distance from 60 mph. Give it a try and let us know how well your bike did.

Best thread I've read in a while.......thanks.........
:thumbup::thumbup:.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If 163 feet (>60x2=120) is good for a well practiced rider,

then 180 (>60x3=180) might be more realistic rule of thumb for the rest of us.

Yes?

------

I bet this Rule of Thumb would be close for similar speeds.

3x50=150
3x60=180
3x70=210

Because energy is a square of the speed, I'll bet this Rule of Thumb falls apart at much slower or faster speeds like 30 or 90 MPH. But that's okay, because when I'm riding the twisties here in North Carolina, I rarely go over 60 MPH.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If 163 feet (>60x2=120) is good for a well practiced rider,

then 180 (>60x3=180) might be more realistic rule of thumb for the rest of us.

Yes?

------

I bet this Rule of Thumb would be close for similar speeds.

3x50=150
3x60=180
3x70=210

Because energy is a square of the speed, I'll bet this Rule of Thumb falls apart at much slower or faster speeds like 30 or 90 MPH. But that's okay, because when I'm riding the twisties here in North Carolina, I rarely go over 60 MPH.

The only other variable to consider is.......me and my bike are probably completely wore out.
:lol: So others need to try it and let us know their results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts