GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So considering that most bikes parked up well over 90% of the time do you think its beneficial to store up on the center stand.
Zero weight in the rear and next to nothing on the front.
Takes the stress off the springs.

Got to be good don't ya recon?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I am going to store my Wing for the winter, I put it on the center stand, then lift the front up to put blocks under the front cowl so the front tire is off the ground a quarter of an inch or so. StaBil in the tank, cover the bike with a sheet so it will not sweat, (and keep most of the dust off of it), hook up the battery to a tender, and wait for spring!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
No cover for me, mice love covered things.

The trick to getting the bike on the center stand easily for me is to stand with my left foot in *front* of the footpeg, then start the bike rolling slightly back and press down and *away* on the center stand lever at an angle towards the back of the bike. Sometimes I rock it back part-way, then forward, then back again and up on the center stand.

For me, trying to stand straight up on the center stand lever just results in a sore foot.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I store the bike on my J & S jack. I jack it up, engage the safety bars and let the pressure off the jack. Nothing touches the ground.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I also lay a rug under the bike, so condensation from the cement floor, will not bother the bike.....fill tank w/ gas w/ stabilizer, tires off floor, and battery tender hooked up.....and most importantly I put a sign on bike that says no mice allowed... I "thought that the sign" worked till I replaced the air cleaner last month, and surprisingly actually found it totally loaded with M&M's candy......YES M&M's, where that (m&m's) came from is a mystery to me..... We have no children, and I'm quite sure that my wife doesn't sit in the garage, to hide, and eat M&M's...???

Ronnie

Reactions: goldwingchuck

·
Registered
731 Posts
Maybe I'm just lazy but I almost never use the center stand at all. Getting the Goldwing up is not a problem but I always feel like there is a good chance of dropping the bike when I go to get it off the center stand. So this past year I changed the center stand to a "roll on, roll off" stand, but I have yet to see any real advantage on using this over just using the side stand in my garage. I've been storing a bike for the winter on a side stand for only about the last 35 years or so, and so far it has served my needs just fine. Add Stabil, run the engine for 5 minutes, hook up the Battery Tender and stuff rags into the pipe openings, then put a cover over the bike to cut down on dust accumulating over the winter. Even back in the days before fuel injection I have never had a problem getting a bike started when Spring arrives.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I also lay a rug under the bike, so condensation from the cement floor, will not bother the bike.....fill tank w/ gas w/ stabilizer, tires off floor, and battery tender hooked up.....and most importantly I put a sign on bike that says no mice allowed... I "thought that the sign" worked till I replaced the air cleaner last month, and surprisingly actually found it totally loaded with M&M's candy......YES M&M's, where that (m&m's) came from is a mystery to me..... We have no children, and I'm quite sure that my wife doesn't sit in the garage, to hide, and eat M&M's...???

Ronnie
M&M stands for Mickey and Minnie :rat:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts

Ronnie

Are you SURE about that.............???????? I mean, about the no children part... Might be some sneaking around there?.... Wasn't questioning if you could trust your wife.... :shrug: :kiss:

The mice sign never works... however, "Cat pool and spa... only CATS ALLOWED!" ... always works. Give it a shot.......

M&M stands for Mickey and Minnie :rat:
Actually stands for "Mice... and their Motorcycles!".... former magazine, now web site, they frequent... sorta their version of Playboy... it has a centerfold.... the gals from Miami Mice... etc... they read it over the winter... like us and "Rider"...

Man... I wish "Rider" had a centerfold............. :wink2:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Yes I was totally surprised about the M&M's.... I am a clean freak, with my bike, I mean it's always washed, and I put a good coat of wax on her every times it rains ( I sit in garage w/headphones on, and rock out to Led Zeppelin, NO M&M's that I know of... **although I do have to speak to wife to see if she does indeed sit an eat ,and hide a stash of M&m's in the garage *** when I'm not home....LOL

Any ways, I now have a new air filter, a new front tire/front brakes going on tomorrow..... I believe I'll be putting her in hibernation, so that mean(s) another wax job, oil change, oil filter, fuel stabilizer in fuel tank, battery tender, and bike raised off the cement floor with a rug placed under her... Give her a great big :kiss: and see her in the spring.......:wink2:

O' time to take out the snow skies, wax them up, and pray for snow very soon!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
502 Posts
So how high do you lift your bike on the J&S I have a pit bull and I will store it on it with the tires off the ground and using the stops and take the pressure off the bottle jack.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Center stand is the way to go. Easier to check tires and oil level. I use 3/4" board under rear wheel to make it easier getting on stand. Fill the tank add sea foam. I put some moth balls all around the garage, I'd rather deal with the smell than the damage those little buggers can do.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
So considering that most bikes parked up well over 90% of the time do you think its beneficial to store up on the center stand.
Zero weight in the rear and next to nothing on the front.
Takes the stress off the springs.

Got to be good don't ya recon?
For guidance I would follow your Owner's Manual. I believe it says nothing about a preference. However, some tires like E4s, flat spot and need several miles to round themselves out and parking on a center stand can help with that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I put the metal screens over the "air intake horns", during my 1st air filter change. Have had no trouble with mice getting into my air filter. That doesn't mean I'm safe, as those critters also like to chew on electrical wires. :frown2:

·
Registered
759 Posts
So how high do you lift your bike on the J&S I have a pit bull and I will store it on it with the tires off the ground and using the stops and take the pressure off the bottle jack.

I jack my bike up to the point where it is almost vertical and easy to move around if I have to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts