GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little different question for you.

If you were going on a 3 or 4 week trip without a passenger, does somebody make something useful that you could replace the passenger seat with, say more storage, or better yet, a spare fuel tank?

Just curious,

Steve

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
UberXY said:
Here is a little different question for you.

If you were going on a 3 or 4 week trip without a passenger, does somebody make something useful that you could replace the passenger seat with, say more storage, or better yet, a spare fuel tank?
That question's not too different, it's just been a while since we've been on that merry-go-round.

T-Bags for clothing, and Iron Butt Riders do the extra gas tank routine all the time.

You should get a few responses from those that have BTDT!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Did you read the entire ad ??? It says to relax and have a SMOKE while your buddies are FUELING up..!!!!!!!! Now smoking and gasoline don't mix......KABOOOOM.......Also if you were to stop while they are fueling up,,why wouldn't you just fuel up too ? I thought the idea was to keep riding WITHOUT having to stop ..........If it were me,,I would reword the ad,,,,,,,And "Wave at your buddies" as you pass them while they are at the gas station,,then they would have to catch up to you later...hehe.....p.s......no smoking while getting gas !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
$1395?????? Maybe the person selling this thing should go to work for Mother Honda

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Hope some of the naysayers don't read this and stomp all over you for suggesting something Mother Honda did not put in her specifications !!

I can ride tank to tank, but prefer to stop once in a while now a days, getting older and stiffer LOL

Good Luck

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
95 Posts
when i'm chillin on a trip i carry extra whatever (usually a laptop) in a waterproof river bag. i bought one at wally world a few years ago and it's held up well for over 100k miles. you can kinda make out the bag in the sig pic, but here's a link to a better pic:

click to enlarge

i wouldn't worry about extra fuel unless i was running a timed long distance run.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Keghead said:
$1395?????? Maybe the person selling this thing should go to work for Mother Honda
Yea but it is hand made one at a time with unbelieveable quality- engineering and design cost. I don't have one but would love to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed a 3 gal, fuel tank from Summit Racing. The tank ,fittings ,and labor to install where about $600 total. It is really nice to have it on long trips especially when I pull my tent trailer. Also used it for my first IBA ride in early October :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why not just strap a 2 1/2 to 5 gallon plastic gas can on the seat? I mean for $1,400 gesh! Plus the gas can is easy to remove. My bladder gives out a lot faster than my gas does!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Snowwolfe said:
Why not just strap a 2 1/2 to 5 gallon plastic gas can on the seat? I mean for $1,400 gesh! Plus the gas can is easy to remove. My bladder gives out a lot faster than my gas does!
where's that gas gonna go if you get in a crash? Maybe all over you,then maybe ignite?

If I thought I needed that much extra gas,I would invest in a safe system

·
Registered
161 Posts
I ride solo all the time, and use a Kurykyn rack bag strapped to the rear seat with a short bungee on each side (not across the top of the bag). It seems to be the perfect lenth, and it gives me a nice formed back rest.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I absolutely love the convenience of having an additional 4.7 gallons and I don't have to start looking for a gas station when I have traveled a couple of hundred miles since the last fillup. And no, it doesn't mean I have to remain in the saddle for the whole 440 +/- mile range I figure I have, I just get to choose a lot more scenic places to stop than ones that include gas pumps. Another far less expensive alternative to this design would be one of the 4 gallon aluminum fuel cell from RCI or Summit Racing that would fit the rear seat nicely. It wouldn't be that difficult to design and make a "secure" mounting platform for over the rear seat that would safely lock and hold the fuel cell. Summit Racing sells these for $139.95 to $157.95 depending upon if powder-coated (assorted colors) or not (natural). Of course, the hose and fittings are extra too.

DaleC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts