GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

I was able to pick up a spare final drive. How should I store it? I was thinking of putting fresh oil in it and covering the shaft opening.

What do you do?

Hector

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I picked-up a zero miler a couple of years ago. It has the brake disc, caliper with fresh pads, brake hose, and input shaft all attached. Mine is sitting on top of an open wooden candy barrel in an unheated, but dry, out building. Original oil and all of that, only some kraft paper wrapped around the input shaft and brake hose fitting.

prs

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I just store it in a taped up cardboard box to keep dirt off of it.Nothing else is needed.
A dry area is the best place to store the box.This is how new parts on warehouse shelves are done.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Mine is in a cardboard box, sprayed it with a light oil, taped up the box and kicked it under the workbench in the garage.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Mine is in a cardboard box, sprayed it with a light oil, taped up the box and kicked it under the workbench in the garage.

I store mine the same way.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Why do you think you need a spare ? :shrug:

I've never had problems or have known of anyone to have problems. Is it just a matter of being able to get one cheap, so why not ?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

I've never had problems or have known of anyone to have problems. Is it just a matter of being able to get one cheap, so why not ?
Once this model Goldwing is discontinued, prices for these will climb fast.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts

Do a little search and you will see why. They do fail on occasion.

prs

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I read a while back what I thought was a great idea. That was to pack it in a shipping box all ready to be shipped and store it in a location accessible to a friend/relative.
Then,if your a thousand miles from home and you all of a sudden have a 'need', call your friend/relative and have it shipped,... FAST!
Over-nite shipping to anywhere in the country can't be cheap but gatta be cheaper that buying one on the road or from a dealer.
I'm just sayin'...:popcorn:
Now, that being said, don't ask me where mine is...
(it's under the bench wrapped in a rag and in a plastic bag,...shhhh) :wrong:
thecruiser

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

There has been many failures posted here.some with main carrier bearings shot or seal leaks.Either way it's going to ruin a trip.

Mileage varied from 75-120K

Yes I have a spare.

·
Registered
177 Posts
All the comments sounds like a great idea. I really like the post about having it ready to ship. Now a questions I have, what is a good price to pay for one and any suggestions on where to pick one up. I like being prepared.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I mounted my spare final drive assembly with rotor to a small wooden/aluminum jig held by the 4 installation studs/nuts in it's upright, operational position; and the drive shaft end oiled and wrapped for additional protection.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
All the comments sounds like a great idea. I really like the post about having it ready to ship. Now a questions I have, what is a good price to pay for one and any suggestions on where to pick one up. I like being prepared.
EarnhardtSPortsman (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/member.php?u=37820 )
gave me a good price on a final drive. You should be able to pick one up for less than $50. Of course then you have shipping costs if not local. Many trike dealers have them.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
There has been many failures posted here.some with main carrier bearings shot or seal leaks.Either way it's going to ruin a trip.

Mileage varied from 75-120K

Yes I have a spare.
Ya had me scared for a sec. :eek:4:
I've got nothing to worry about then because I always trade waaaayyyy before then.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. Yes, I did purchase one because there have been some failures and there was one available in the same town my brother lives in. Shipping was just throwing it in the trunk when we all met up for Father's Day.

Hector

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I turn mine a few times to keep the oil on everything inside. I do this about every 2 months.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Emptied the oil out of mine. Kicked it against the wall, on the floor, near the sink. I should spray the rotor with a light oil to keep the rotor from rusting but haven't. Maybe writing this will motivate me too!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine went out at 86000mi on my 07, the dealer finaly covered it under the extended warranty but for a few days they said they were not going to cover it.
I was having a hell of a problem locating one on short notice.
The dealer finaly came through and all was well.
But haveing a spare would be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Mine is sitting on the shelf in my garage. I did change the final drive oil and wipe it and the rotor down with an oily rag. Got the rear shock and actuator sitting next to it. I know that will be used at some point. Wonder if anything needs to be done to that unit.:shrug:

Fred

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Emptied the oil out of mine. Kicked it against the wall, on the floor, near the sink. I should spray the rotor with a light oil to keep the rotor from rusting but haven't. Maybe writing this will motivate me too!!

rotor is stainless.............. wont rust...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts