GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased a new 2003 Wing and have it stored in a 5x10 self storage garage at a cost of $82 monthly. I do have an assigned parking space in front of my home ( private homes with no garage) that I could keep it in. I live in South Florida so no snow or ice to deal with..just the rainy season and lots of heat and humidity. Neighborhood is pretty secure and of course the bike is fully insured.
My question is what type of cover should I use and are there any of you out there that store your bikes outdoors?? Will it harm the paint,electronics etc being stored outside?? I really hate spending an additonal $1,000 a year besides insurance just to keep it indoors.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.....

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I stored mine outside in Massachussettes in the winter. (GL1200) I used a lined Dowco cover and had no problems. Would uncover and ride it when the raods were clear. At least once a week.

Dowco has grommets so you could lock it up I suppose. But they could just cut out the grommet too. There are 4 cover brands I know we deal with and all are good, Dowco (which I'm partial to) Ultragard, Cyclevault, and Nelson Rigg.

If you do cover it for a few days, put a sack of Moth ball in a bowl on the seat to keep "critters" from nesting up in there.

South Florida, and you're going to store it?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ken, this is what I use in my carport. It's called the "Bike Barn". It's made for outdoor use, had airvents to keep moisture from building up. Well you can read about it on the website. http://www.thebikebarn.co.uk/
If you have any questions about it, feel free to drop me an email.
My main reason for using this was to keep the neighborhood cat's off the bike. They'ed climb up under the regular cover and sleep on the seat. I got several scratches from they're climbing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
CYCLESHELL

I use the CycleShell Motorcycle Enclosure and have for a little over a year. There is nothing better to protect your bike. I have one for my GL1800 and one for my VTX. Aside from my wife claimming the neighbors call us the POD People, I have not had any problem with them through summer heat and tropical rain storms.

It has a hard bottom that you drive onto and then just pull the supported cover over the bike. Two pins hold the top down and if you really want it sealed up, there is velcro around the bottom that you can close between the top and the base.

Take a look at www.cycleshell.com/index.html . Cost is about $450 shipped to you, but at $82 a month that may not be too bad.

Dick

·
Registered
21 Posts
storage

check out calcarcover.com click on motorcycle accessoeies, they have 2 real nice enclosed bike covers at a very good price. Or you can move here to California where we don't put our bikes away long enough to cover them up!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ken,
I'm near you (North Miami) and also without a garage. I use a Dowco full cover and it seems to be fine. I bought my 03 in April and it still looks great! It is parked in an area that is shady most of the day and it stays covered unless I am riding, cleaning or adding stuff. The only major drawback is that I can't work on it on our rainy days.
Chuck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone :D
I think I will go with the Dowco Guardian EZ, while the other alternatives look great, I dont think the HOA would like a Bike Barn in my parking spot LOL :shock:
If it was up to me, I would put up a Ted's Shed in the spot ha ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts