GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new set of E3's($281/pr) for my wing from a MC store that is going out of business. I don't need them until about June. What is the best way to store them?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
dhawk said:
I bought a new set of E3's($281/pr) for my wing from a MC store that is going out of business. I don't need them until about June. What is the best way to store them?
In my garage. :p

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dhawk, Store in a dark, secure, cool, nitrogen environment.
OR SHIP TO ME AND I WILL PROTECT YOUR TIRES. AND I WILL PAY
FOR THE SHIPPING.
Happy New Year galewing
PS: lay on side---- in side----any cool place.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
They will freeze up there,send them down to Texas.

·
Registered
676 Posts
(cool, dry, and dark) And also standing up straight. Don't store them laying down flat.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Away from electric motors. Check the tire manu. web site.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Send them to me, I will put them in my HEATED garage and take good care of them till I need them. I will send you a PM with my address. I am willing to pay some of the shipping.... maybe 1/3 of it.

Pap

·
Registered
500 Posts
oldturtle said:
(cool, dry, and dark) And also standing up straight. Don't store them laying down flat.
Just curious, why not flat if it's in a cool dry place and not on concrete?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I can only store them in a garage ... unheated.

I usually store tires on a couple layers of heavy cardboard in an Oreo pattern. Cardboard, tire, cardboard, tire, yada, yada.

If you are concerned about light degradation or some such, put them in a heavy black plastic garbage bag.

This has worked for me for many tires .... both MC and cager.

BAGGER

·
Vendor
18,085 Posts
I was in the tire business for years and learned this. Tire are almost indestructible. You can store them anywhere and on anything. Their only enemy is sunlight, petroleum products, and heat. It doesn't matter if they're standing up, lying down, or tied to a tree, they will find they're shape once aired and driven on. Nothing you do to them is more stressful then what you do when you drive on them.

That's an excellent price, do they have any more?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I won't quote it all, but mil-spec requires vertical storage (when possible) in dry place, 32 - 85 degrees, away from contaminents such as oil, gas, jet fuel, etc. and away from electrical motors, welders, fluorescent lights, etc. (ozone producers). The vertical positioning is mostly to tell folks not to stack them flat and on top of each other causing distortion. We are required to store aircraft tires standing up in specially made racks.

If it will be a while, I would find some way to wrap them up or cover them somehow. Maybe a large trash bag, plastic moving wrap, etc.

Seems like a fair price though.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
store upright.

if it makes you feel better wrap some old blankets aroung them

a few months in an unheated garage big deal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts