GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a small biff today on a group ride.

Factor 1:

Several weeks ago, a friend wanted to try my Wing. I usually ride with the suspension very firm, so I softened it a bit for him.

Factor 2:

Today, riding 2-up over some speed bumps, the Wing's center stand scraped. I remembered that I hadn't stiffened the suspension, and made a mental note to do so at the next stop.

Factor 3:

At the next stop, the parking lot was roped off, so we backed our bikes up to the rope and then walked the grounds.

Factor 4:

Getting back to the bike, all was well. When I mounted, I remembered about the suspension, and cranked it to max stiffness.

In pulling away from the parking lot, I immediately felt a huge rearward force with a strong rightside component. The front/back vector I could handle, but the sideways force... well, over we went, spilling my wife Micki all the way out of her seat to the pavement.

It had felt like a tractor beam locked onto the bike as I pulled away. What the hell caused that to happen?

Turns out that when I raised the suspension, it was just enough to catch the parking lot no-entry rope on the lip of the Wing's luggage rack. When I pulled away, I was actually tethered to the parking lot gate. It was as if the Wing as the ball being pulled back in a slingshot: Biff!

This has to be one of the strangest chains of events leading to a biff I've had--- or heard.

Damage: Bruise on Micki's right hip, minor sctatches on the right side case and mirror.

Weird!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I think all the planets had to be in a certain order for all that to take place. :shock: Happy to hear the damage was minor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It wouldn't have happened if you could adjust your in motion.
It's Honda's fault. :wink: I'm glad yall wern't hurt, and hope your
wife is ok with every thing.

good luck and Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Since nobody was hurt, it would've made a good video... :wink:
...glad you weren't hurt either but you have to admit this is a funny one. If you ever could make a video of all the goofy things we all do, it would be a real knee slapper. I could contribute (probaby my favorite is getting off the bike with my helmet on and attached to the audio....you get the picture) :lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was funny--- and stupid, too. Entirely my fault.

But given the weird chain of events, I had to share it! :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sounds almost exactly like trying to ride off without removing your brake rotor lock. You take off like normal, roll about 2 feet, then BAM! The bike stops and you fall over, wandering, What the HECK you ran into. :oops:

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Flanga,

Every accident is always the result of a series of events. Take just one away, and the accident doesn't happen.

I lost a very close friend and riding buddy this past June to an inattentive youngster. Before the accident, we crossed paths in town, and chatted for a few minutes, then headed in opposite direction. Had we chatted for 10 seconds more, or had we not crossed paths, and my dear friend would be riding with me today.

I'm happy your are here today to describe your series of events, and glad that all turned out okay, although with minor injuries. The bike, being a material thing, can always be fixed or replaced.

I did have a good chuckle reading about it, though. :lol:

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
the first time I took my 02 to a large motorcycle event,(Oyster Run,Anacortes,WA) when I pulled away from my parking slot,I heard a big SNAP,and looked around to see that the right front part of my trunk had caught on the windshield of the cruiser parked next to me and broke about half of it off.
I felt really bad,especially when the rider said she had to ride more than 100 miles that way to get home. :oops:

Of course I reimbursed her for a new windshield,but I felt really small that day. :oops:

Hopefully we all learn from our dumba$$ mistakes! :oops:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Just another reason to not have a luggage rack :shock: 8) :lol: :p :wink: :roll:

Glad neither of more serious injuries!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts