GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nice ride this past weekend up around San Luis Obispo and Big Sur with 15 other Wings (about 27 riders all together). Beautiful weather and roads! 700 miles of smiles over three days; it was a great riding weekend!

I road home Sunday without incident, (I really enjoyed the 30 mile stretch of road, Cerro Noroeste Rd, from Hwy 166 to Frasier park! -bg-), about a 200 mile home. I got to Pasadena and pulled off the freeway, when I used my rear brake I felt like I was hitting those warning grooves that tell you are to far off the pavement, looked at the road and didn't see anything that would cause a vibration like that. Got the same vibration at the next two stops before I realized it was the front of the bike doing the vibrating and only when I used the rear brake?

If I apply the front brake while using the rear brake or use the front brake by itself, no vibration. If I apply heavier pressure to the rear brake the vibration in the front end will go away.

I can see and feel the front end vibrating back and forth. I have ABS on my 2005 GL1800. There are no other symptoms, warning or idiot lights coming on. Front brake pads were replaced about 6,000 miles ago while in Nashville. I had the rear pads checked 2,000 miles ago while replacing my tires and was told they still had about 50% left (original pads). I have 24,500 miles total on the Wing.

Anyone have some idea what is going on? It is sounding like I may need to take the Wing into the dealer… Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm sure you already looked under your bike but this is what happened to me. I too had the same kind of vibration that you discribe but also had the sound you get when tires run across those ridges on side of road. On inspection of my machine I discovered that a 9" needlenose pliers had pierced the bottom and side of the reservoir tank and when the brakes were applied the front end would drop just enough for the handle of the pliers to skip across the pavement causing the vibration and noise. Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
same think happen to me on a 02 45000 mi when i had pads replaced rode to 48000 time for fluid change when i picked it yesterday it was gone don't know if this was problem or not also they found a bolt missing in front on a line connection bracket

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
Have you checked your bike real good to make sure there are no bolts missing anywhere around the brake cailpers.... the rotor bolts maybe?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sounds like my sportster when I drove it off the lot new.......and I didn't have to put the brakes on....... :shock:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved :!:

Rear brake pads had just worn out, metal to metal contact has just started in one small spot, just enough to cause the vibratrion I was feeling after the brakes had warmed up a bit. Minor damage to the rotor, not enough to warrant replacement.

Did get some advice from the mechanic that replaced the pads for me today. Replacing your tires?? May as well replace your brake pads while you are at it, you won't have to worry about brake pads or $300 rotors :!:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
pshivers said:
Problem solved :!:

Rear brake pads had just worn out, metal to metal contact has just started in one small spot, just enough to cause the vibratrion I was feeling after the brakes had warmed up a bit. Minor damage to the rotor, not enough to warrant replacement.

Did get some advice from the mechanic that replaced the pads for me today. Replacing your tires?? May as well replace your brake pads while you are at it, you won't have to worry about brake pads or $300 rotors :!:
Glad to here you found the problem. I don't think the advice your mechanic gave you is very cost effective. The brake pads last nearly three times what the tires do.

BTW , if you ever need a rear rotor you can buy them cheap from a trike shop. I paid around 200 dollars for a complete rear end, a rear brake caliper, rotor, along with a set of muffers and a steering stem, all brand new There's deals out there and parts are plentiful for the 1800.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roadie,

You may be right on "over replacing" the brake pads with each tire change. I'm sure this suggestion would need to be adjusted for each rider/bike as we all ride with our own style.

On my bike the front pads were used up at 17,000 miles and I had them replaced by Traxxion while they were upgrading the suspension in Nashville last July.

I had new tires installed last month at 23,000 miles and asked that the rear pads be checked at that time, I was told I had 50% of my rear pads left at that time. Either the mechanic was mistaken or something really scrubbed the life out of the rear pads in less than 2,000 miles!

I replaced my first set of tires a little early at 11,000 miles (OEM D250's), the E3's came off after about 12,000 miles, also a little early.

My guess is I would have gone about 15,000 miles on each set of tires if I had waited till I was on the wear bars, but trip plans dictated earlier replacement. With that kind of mileage in mind, synchronous Tire/Brake pad replacement might work out close enough for my own maintenance schedule.

As the car companies state “Your mileage may vary”!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
pshivers said:
Roadie,

You may be right on "over replacing" the brake pads with each tire change. I'm sure this suggestion would need to be adjusted for each rider/bike as we all ride with our own style.

On my bike the front pads were used up at 17,000 miles and I had them replaced by Traxxion while they were upgrading the suspension in Nashville last July.

As the car companies state “Your mileage may vary”!
You do seem to be going through brake pads pretty quick at only 17000 miles. Do you ride in the mountains alot? I could see riding in the mountains alot would be harder on the brakes. Here where I live, it's as flat as Florida. I just replaced my front pads at 32000 miles and when I pulled off the old pads they looked like they could have gone another 4000 miles or so easily, but I put on the new pads anyways since I went through the trouble of removing the old pads. Same thing with the rear pads. It does feel good knowing you have new brake pads :)

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, Lots of mountain roads around here in Southern California. I can see Angelus Crest Highway from my office Window in the San Gabriel Mountains. Literally 1,000's of miles of twistes in my backyard! Then there is the stop and go traffic of the Los Angeles area! All are not easy on brakes or tires, but the mountains sure are fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts