GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
2016 gl1800, 12k miles, I’ve noticed a noise when I turn ignition on, after a long ride,thinking that was the fuel pump?!, but it was as if the pump was failing? Or something else? I’ve actually never heard the fuel pump or for that matter any noise upon ignition ON since new?! Now, 24 hours later, bike startup ( ignition on) is totally normal?
Totally clueless what was making that noise when I turned ignition to it’s ON setting ( motor not running) yesterday????

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've no idea of your noise. But I used to get a speed related noise anywhere upwards of 70mph, and at around 75mph the noise grew louder and I could feel odd vibrations mid-body. I eventually bought her a Honda of her own to ride, and now my mc is as quiet as a church mouse and smoother than silk at all speeds. :cool:

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
On hotter days, it is normal for the fuel pump to make a gurgling noise for about 2-3 seconds prior to starting. It's caused from aerated gas. There is a cross-over fuel line that sits between intake manifold and the top of the engine that runs from fuel rails to fuel rail. After sitting for a short period, the gas in the line will begin to boil. When the key is turned on, the fuel pump briefly runs to pressurize the system and purge the fuel line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts