GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the general board since it probably has more readers and it really isn't a trike associated problem.

Looking for ideas and suggestion with this problem: Rrecently my triked 2004 Wing has started making intermittent noises from somewhere in its front.

I get a squeak, squeak (like something rubbing) then a clunk or two. Nothing really repetitive. It may do this a few times then go the rest of the ride quite or may do it again after several miles. Really nothing repetitive that you can pin down.

I have felt the front axle and both side are cool (guess it isn't wheel bearings). The brake rotors and capillaries (sp) are cool on both sides. Nothing seems to be abnormal with the tire and nothing rubbing against the fender. Its not coming form the audio system because it still squeaks and squawks with the radio, CB, Aux turned off. It dose seem to be more associated with slower speeds but straight travel or turns don't seem to make any difference.

I know if I take it to the dealer it won't repeat the problem.

Guess I will keep riding until it works itself out or gets a hard failure.

Suggestions or comments.

G

·
I know just what you mean. I get those sounds now and then myself. The first time I was headed to Cats-Cade last June and I heard a tinkling sound. It took a while but it turned out I had added a new key to my key ring and when it was turn a certain way and hit just the right bump it tinkled. Almost drove me crazy.

The next time I heard some noise it was more of a rattle. Long story short, I had 3 little padlocks in the right glove box. I lined it with sticky felt and no more rattle.

Now I have another noise I can't find.

Funny thing is, I never heard any of these little noises when I rode a Harley.

G

·
Sometimes our ears play tricks on us. Unless the noise persists, gets worse, or something starts acting abnormal, don't get too concerned.

Good luck. Merry Christmas and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
All I can say is I feel your pain. Reading this thread reminded me of when my wife and I went on our 3800 + mile ride up north and through Nova Scotia. For the first 4 days, we had this whistle that would get louder as we went faster. As we turned our heads to the right, it got louder, to the left, just a bit softer. Talk about headachs. On the fith day, my wife was streching her arms out as we were riding and bumped up againts the front two wheels of my wheelchair. When she hit the wheels, causing them to turn a bit, you got it, the noise stoped. Turned out that the new front casters I put on my chair were spining in the wind as the bike picked up speed and the air flow through the fork opening caused the whistle. Thank GOD I had electric tape with me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts