GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently chose to upgrade our helmets since we are doing longer trips (didn't wander far from home with the '83), and after much research settled on the Nolan N104. I wore mine for the first time this morning on the commute to work and was quite distracted by a sound that I have never heard coming from a motorcycle helmet. It could be described as a rattle or crackle but sounds very much as if there were a piece of paper taped to the top of the helmet flapping in the wind. I reached up to feel if the vent scoop cover was coming loose and, of course, it wasn't. I literally thought that I must have left a sticker on the helmet that was pulling loose in the breeze, but no. I must have looked quite amusing to other motorists as I put my hand in various places making the sound subside or disappear altogether. Could the aerodynamics (for lack of a better term) cause such a sound?? This just can't be! Bemused I donned my wife's helmet when I got home from work and hit the road again and I was totally amazed that her's makes the same sound! I have worn several different helmets over the years with varying degrees of wind noise but nothing like this! It is not loud but not your typical wind noise and very distracting. Perhaps I could get used to it . . . but I'd rather not!

So, is this a known anomaly with the N104? Are there any of you using the N104 that have experienced this??

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Glad you brought this up ... I've occasionally heard sounds like that you describe with my Nolan N103 helmet ... I think it has to do with faceplate plastic. Earlier I thought it was plastic on the front of the bike ... it's something in the helmet though ... :shrug:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Take a look at the vent just above the faceshield, is it closing all the way when you close the top vent? Mines leaks. Nolan tried to replace it once, but, it still doesn't close properly. I'd be willing to bet that's where the noise is coming from.

The only way I can get it to stop leaking is to put tape over it. It's a poor design and Nolan will not admit to the mistake.

·
Registered
399 Posts
PK when I first got my bike if I had the windshield at a level where I could just see over it I got a thrumming noise no matter which helmet I wore from the buffeting. When someone on this forum posted the same problem and that when they opened the windshield vent one notch it practically eliminated it, I tried it and it worked for me too. You never know it might change the wind flow enough to work for you too.

Pete

·
Registered
370 Posts
Check the PinLock tabs in the face shield. They can make the noise you are describing. They were very tight originally in mine, but once I popped them out the first time, never have fit as tight as new.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My take on this "issue" is that once I know where the noise is coming from ... if everything is OK ... then it's not an issue anymore ... :shrug:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the good news is . . . at least I'm not crazy (or maybe I am--you can never trust a self diagnosis!). The king of overreacting has calmed down a bit. On the commute this morning I could hear the sound but it didn't bother me as much since I was expecting it. I also made a quick run at lunchtime and didn't pay any attention to it because I was late for an appointment and then late getting back to work. All of that took my attention away from the, shall we say, "unique" sound that I'm hearing from the helmet.

I have the windshield set all the way up so I look directly through it. The turbulent air just hits the top of the helmet but even when I stick my head up into the wind the sound is still there but not nearly as noticable. I will check that front vent on the helmet and try the windshield vent, too.

Obviously, my expectations were high after spending $330 on this helmet and I have to say that the strange noise is my only complaint. I'll give it a little more time and enjoy the positive aspects of it. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
41 Posts
nolan helmet

where did you buy the nolan 104 helmet for $330...been quoted at $400 elsewhere?? I am looking for a large nolan 104 helmet at a good discount price...thanks...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the N104 for the past year, I keep my windshield down low so I can see over the top. I have never heard the noise you describe. My only complaint about the N104 it that I like to ride with the face shield in the up position most of the time. The up locks are too loose and it wants to shut on me. I have considered just taking the face shield off during the warm dry time and putting it back on when riding in rain or cold.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the N-103 not the 104 but i hag the same type off issue with a "rattle"noise. What I found was the little "door" where the N-Com goes would rattle. I put a small piece of foam inside so the door would fit snug and now don't have anymore noise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have had the N104 for the past year, I keep my windshield down low so I can see over the top. I have never heard the noise you describe. My only complaint about the N104 it that I like to ride with the face shield in the up position most of the time. The up locks are too loose and it wants to shut on me. I have considered just taking the face shield off during the warm dry time and putting it back on when riding in rain or cold.
Last summer I did that for a couple of days when it was really hot. Works well if you have someplace to put the face shield while off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts