GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have approx 7,500 miles on a set of metzeler tires that need replacing already...rear tire is worn on the left side with plenty of tread on the right...never seen this before.....front tire wearing even..bike rides good..I bought these because people I talk to said I would get 15,000 miles out of them...any thoughts?...Ordered a set of Conti tires tonight....08 wing just turning 25,000 miles and the conti's will be my 4th set.....

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
:shrug:Guess you could get the current Bridgestones which are delaminating at hot temperatures.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Laen-can you point me to that info (about the stones) pleasse? I had not heard about this and stones are my tire of choice. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My rear tires never wear like that. ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The last ones I replaced on a customer bike,had the rear worn to the cords on the left side,his had centramatics,which I thought mayhave off-set it enough to do that,but other bikes didn't seem to have that problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Last Mets me880 came apart also went to a runflat darkside tire Havent had a problem since:lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
:shrug:Guess you could get the current Bridgestones which are delaminating at hot temperatures.
The sky isn't falling Vernon,Just in Tom's mind!

Laen-can you point me to that info (about the stones) pleasse? I had not heard about this and stones are my tire of choice. Thanks.
Sean.Tom finch made a thread about a couple of his friends who had a rear stone trouble.
What he DOESN'T know if why they had an issue.He also is running a tire that isn't designed for his bike (70-series) and should be more concerned with that tire on his own bike than trying to scare others who are experiencing what others guy have with every other brand of MT at one point or another.

Every tire made for the 1800 has at one point or another had a "few" that delaminated for whatever reason or another.

My Last Mets me880 came apart also went to a runflat darkside tire Havent had a problem since:lol:
Unless you run a BMT tire without air.No one and I mean no one running a BMT has ever had a BMT delaminate on their 1800.
There has been over two million mile to date from all Brands and RF/NRF tire run and no issues.

Choose your Tires as if you Life Depends on it-Because it does!:eek:4:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Hell even I am a darksider. Oops... he he he I guess I just came out of the garage... now you know.

To be fair when I get in the twisties I will be putting the motorcycle tire back on the bike.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Waldo...

Sorry, I'm not buying your hypotheses regarding abnormal tire wear, especially left front/rear tire wear. Do I have an alternate hypothesis? Not really. I just think the left turn vs. right turn hypothesis and their effects on tire wear are negligible... especially at the speeds at which those particular turns might have an effect (tight turns, most commonly found at intersections). All other turns would be equal.

Could it be crowned roads? Doubtful, since the effect would be negligible, too. Slight misalignment? More likely.

Do I have an idea why the center of the tire might wear quicker than the outer edges? Lack of twisty riding or riding mostly on slabs or straight roads.

I also think cupping/scallopping is affected by suspension, among other things, and probably can't be narrowed down to one cause (or even two maybe).

No offense; I just disagree. Maybe I'm missin somethin'. Help me understand.

·
IronMan
17,684 Posts
they forgot to flip it while cooking it i side more done

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I just can't buy the hypothesis regarding left front/rear tire wear. I just think the left turn vs. right turn hypothesis and each turn's effects on tire wear are negligible... especially at the speeds at which those particular turns might have an effect (tight turns, most commonly found at intersections, if I understand his theory. If I don't, someone correct me). All other turns would be equal.
If I travel double the distance then I have double the wear. Left turns in this country are pretty much double the distance of right turns thus the left side of your tires will wear faster.

How can you not accept this?
I also think cupping/scallopping is affected by suspension and braking, as well as ambient temperatures, inflation pressure and tire brand.

No offense to Waldo; I just disagree with some of it. I hope that's not considered pissing. Not trying to... just trying to be in the discussion.
The ambient temp does not matter *MOST* of the time as within a few miles your tires are hotter. Those who ride in cold weather will have more miles to run before the tires are up to temp.

Most motorcycle riders are clueless on the temps their tires actually run. I think you would be surprised at just how hot our tires can (and do) get if you are not aware of just how significant the temp shift can be on the wing.

Of course heat increase = air pressure increase. General rule is 1 PSI per 10 degrees. That's why doing a typical pressure check with the tires hot is a false reading....

Air Temp = 70 and the tire has been sitting for a couple of hours then it's fair to say it's at the cold inflation point and should be checked here.

Air temp = 100 and the tire has been sitting for a couple of hours then it's fair to say it's at an ELEVATED cold inflation point and CAN be checked but you will need to subtract 3 PSI to account for the additional 30 degrees of air temp to give you an accurate reading.

Example:
70 degrees, cold tire, 45 PSI
100 degrees, cold tire, 48 PSI

BOTH pressures ARE CORRECT even though they are off by 3 PSI because the temp is off by 30 degrees.

Now let's really add some heat.... You checked your tire in the morning at 70 degrees and it reads 40 PSI just like you like it to. A few days go by and then you go for another ride and the tire's temp jumps to 140 degrees. You pull off at a gas station and check your pressure, after remembering that you had forgotten to check it that morning, to find it's reading 47 PSI. You think it's over pressure and let some out. Let's say you put it back to 40 PSI. Once the tire has cooled off and is back to its cold inflation point you are now 7 PSI under-inflated and have a tire with 33 PSI.

There's a bit more to this tire pressure thing that many people are aware of. Some riders think they pay really good attention to their tires but some riders do not and because they are not aware of the above they easily end up with under inflated tires which is one of the leading causes of cupping.

I hope that might shed some light. Dunno.

Again, the above is my understanding so if anyone thinks it's flawed please let me know.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If I travel double the distance then I have double the wear. Left turns in this country are pretty much double the distance of right turns thus the left side of your tires will wear faster.

How can you not accept this?
I agree with all your inflation pressure facts. Good stuff. I never check my pressure when the tires are hot. :thumbup: Learned somethin, too. Thanks.

But as far as left turn vs. right turns, I understand the distance thing, but basically you're sayin that you're turning left twice as much as you're turning right, or spending twice the time turning left as turning right. Hmmmm... don't think so. If you say no to that (that you make rights and lefts equally), then wouldn't your right turns would be tighter turns with more lean angle, producing more friction and, thus, more severe wear on the right side?

Also, if the left vs right turn theory is true, then why don't ALL tires wear out on the left side first? Seems to me they would (and they don't). Also, car tires would have the same problems, and they don't, to my knowledge. Jus sayin'.

Sorry, still not buyin.

BTW... how do you check tire temperatures?

Good, healthy discussion.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Timjoebob can I jump in here? Your right turns are slower. Its tighter and you will take the turn a bit slower. It may be only a few mph.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
But as far as left turn vs. right turns, I understand the distance thing, but basically you're sayin that you're turning left twice as much as you're turning right, or spending twice the time turning left as turning right. Hmmmm... don't think so. If you say no to that (that you make rights and lefts equally), then wouldn't your right turns would be tighter turns with more lean angle, producing more friction and, thus, more severe wear on the right side?
Okay... You really need to read the wear article that was posted earlier in this thread. http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear

In the USA we drive on the right side of the road thus turns to the right are a shorter distance than turns to the left which require us to travel across one direction of traffic to get to the other.

If I am at an intersection facing north and I want to go west, I have to cross over the eastbound lane(s). This is where the left turns are so much longer than right turns.

Even if you do factor in lean angles variances between right and left, though your lean angle *CAN* be greater turning right, the duration of said turn is a fraction of its' counter-part thus negating that argument.

Does that make sense now?

Cars--- it does happen to cars which is one of the main reasons why the tires need rotation.

It does happen to ALL tires but we do not see it in all tires because not everybody spends enough time doing intersections. Yes, I spend quite a bit of time doing intersections but I also ride crazy miles on the super slab and the twisties so it equals out. If all I did was city driving then I would wear the left side of my tires LONG before the right.

PLEASE read the tire wear article.

·
Registered
812 Posts
So in the UK, they should have the opposite problem, correct?

Has anyone from the UK ever seen excessive and consistent tire wear on the right side of their tires?

I neither agree or diagree at thus point, but would like more information.

Jason

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Could explain why I had two with sidewall cracks on the left side only. Higher sidewall loading?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have approx 7,500 miles on a set of metzeler tires that need replacing already...rear tire is worn on the left side with plenty of tread on the right...never seen this before.....front tire wearing even..bike rides good..I bought these because people I talk to said I would get 15,000 miles out of them...any thoughts?...Ordered a set of Conti tires tonight....08 wing just turning 25,000 miles and the conti's will be my 4th set.....
I looked at this tire today. Very strange. I have Metzeler's also, but I dont have this kind of wear and I have more miles on my set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts