GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to be looking at their website and in the FAQ it is clearly posted...NO CAR TIRES.

http://www.streetmasters.info/FAQ/index.html

What should I do to my bike to get it ready?
To pass tech inspection your motorcycle must have no fluid leaks; controls properly adjusted; brakes in good operating order; tires in good condition and properly inflated (NO CAR TIRES ALLOWED), a tread depth greater than the wear bars and a full tank of gas. You do not have to disconnect the brake lights, remove or tape over the mirrors, or safety critical fasteners. We will conduct tech inspection of all motorcycles prior to the start of the classroom presentation. Please note that car tires are not allowed.

:shrug:

·
Registered
754 Posts
:eek:4::wrong: Just don't go, there just DUM

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I happened to be looking at their website and in the FAQ it is clearly posted...NO CAR TIRES.

To pass tech inspection your motorcycle must have no fluid leaks; controls properly adjusted; brakes in good operating order; tires in good condition and properly inflated (NO CAR TIRES ALLOWED), a tread depth greater than the wear bars and a full tank of gas. You do not have to disconnect the brake lights, remove or tape over the mirrors, or safety critical fasteners. We will conduct tech inspection of all motorcycles prior to the start of the classroom presentation. Please note that car tires are not allowed.

Do you need a spare bike tire and rim I can help ya out :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

They darn sure wouldn't be getting any of my money then!!!

With either tire!!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Phooey on you is what I would tell them!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
why don't we just send them some pictures of our bikes doing curves and ask why no car tires. If this is to improve our driving skill and my choice is to run a car tire on my own bike to improve my self then why no car tire? They Suck just come riding with Us travelman,murgie,rail and alot more riders here can inprove anyone trust me I learn alot from just riding behind them and watching the lines going into turns and coming out of turns they are great riders that I wish one day I will be the same :bow:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Join me in pointing out with an email that they are incredibly "without a clue".:roll:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not for me

I have no intention of going to one of their classes....

I did find it interesting that they would make this blanket statement however I would bet it is under the advice from the attorney to avoid any possible liablility.

My intention with posting it was to show that Darksiders have created an industry "buzz" and companys are responding in some way...

What that really means is the idea has gained enough popularity as to become close to mainstream....

:thumbup:

Color me Double Dark (on a 1500 no less!) :22yikes:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Seems like when there are opinions that differ, the person or organization is just stupid. There have been allot of discussion on CT's. I thought most went that route for tire wear but see some have posted the tire wear is about the same as OEM. I have nothing against CT's if that is what you want to run but stop the hyperbula about they are better then OEM. I must say all the threads on this does have me thinking about the Darkside but I am content with the Dunlops.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Before they had the CT rule, a friend participated in their course with a CT equipped FJR! Shortly after that, the policy of no CT's was in effect.

Back before I switched to CT's, I attended one of their classes. It was a very good class, instructors were knowledgeable. I would have recommended attending, until the no CT rule.

Sleddog

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
You know you got there attention when they or someone felt the neeed for a Disclaimer.

I think I'll show up at a GWRRA chapter meeting this weekend just to piss off a few idiots with my BMT Run Flat!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
no car tire

It may not make any difference but, I suspect that the tire policy is probably from the track. I think I read somewhere that Willow Springs has a NO car tire policy. It could be because they're concerned that the additional traction and resultant G-forces would tear up their track:shrug:.

Richard

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Seems like when there are opinions that differ, the person or organization is just stupid. There have been allot of discussion on CT's. I thought most went that route for tire wear but see some have posted the tire wear is about the same as OEM. I have nothing against CT's if that is what you want to run but stop the hyperbula about they are better then OEM. I must say all the threads on this does have me thinking about the Darkside but I am content with the Dunlops.
I really liked those Dunlops also on dry roads..But they are just plane dangerous in the rain....Hard to beat the traction on wet roads with a c/t....I have been told by other bikes that they like to follow my tire print in the rain cause the tire seems to squeeze the water right off the road..Must admit my biggest draw to a c/t was the RunFlat...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Well if your ever in ma area give me a shout and I'll show up what a car tire can do. :thumbup: Hell this would be a great weekend rain all week just don't come sunday race day no riding that day

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I really liked those Dunlops also on dry roads..But they are just plane dangerous in the rain....Hard to beat the traction on wet roads with a c/t....I have been told by other bikes that they like to follow my tire print in the rain cause the tire seems to squeeze the water right off the road..Must admit my biggest draw to a c/t was the RunFlat...
You say dangerous on wet roads but I rode mine on the slab 1200 miles where I could not see a car length in front of me with no issues. The only thing I was worried about was a car stopping in front of me. I would not be here if that were the case. I never have experienced issues in wet conditions with the lops.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Well if your ever in ma area give me a shout and I'll show up what a car tire can do. :thumbup: Hell this would be a great weekend rain all week just don't come sunday race day no riding that day
I have not looked at a map but sure would like to test ride your ct.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Riders will need a valid drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement and photo ID, a minimum 2 years riding experience or 3,000 miles recent riding experience, be 18 years old or older and provide proof of motorcycle insurance.

Enroll and then sue them for this statement on what is required. The car tire statement isn't under "the what is required to enroll".

So they are defeating themselves with this statement.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts