GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having moisture problem on the inside of the screen. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it handle? Did garmin take care of it?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm calling Garmin tomorrow to report the same defect on my 2610. It's called delamination and if yours is in warranty they should replace the unit. Out of warranty they may charge you $275 (I think) to provide you with a replacement.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's a dirty little secret, but a lot of StreetPilots have been reported with this problem lately.

For the most part, Garmin has been taking care of the problems but I read that it helps if you can take a picture of the moisture problem and include that with the unit because they might not be able to duplicate it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is helpful. I was gonna say 'good to know' - but mine is doing it also, and I have to contact Garmin about it. I've emailed them, but probably will go ahead and call, to see if I can get some satisfaction.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it's under warranty they will replace it.I had the same problem with my 2610 and they replaced it with a new one.I sold it and bought a Zumo.

Ed.. :wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have had this condensation issue with my 2730 and after much insistence and persistence and elevation to her supervisor, I was allowed to have my 2730 replaced with a brand new 2820 and allowed to keep the GXM30 antenna which was included free with the 2730 so I should be able to keep it. It is their fault that they manufactured a unit that was not truly waterproof and since the 2730 was discontinued they had to replace it with the 2820 unit as I didn't have time to wait to send it in and have it refurbished or replaced with a refurb unit.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
RickM said:
All Streetpilots?
Anybody heard of this issue with the 2730 or 2820?

Rick
The physical design and construction of the 26, 27 & 28-series units are all the same, so I would expect the issue to continue with all of the models as they get more mileage on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
xxxrider said:
I have had this condensation issue with my 2730 and after much insistence and persistence and elevation to her supervisor, I was allowed to have my 2730 replaced with a brand new 2820 and allowed to keep the GXM30 antenna which was included free with the 2730 so I should be able to keep it. It is their fault that they manufactured a unit that was not truly waterproof and since the 2730 was discontinued they had to replace it with the 2820 unit as I didn't have time to wait to send it in and have it refurbished or replaced with a refurb unit.
I tried the same logic. It will depend on what operator answers I guess. When I asked for a quick replacement they said it would be an additional $107.69 to get a 2820 as a replacement :shock: . I even told them several stores sell the same unit with the 2820 a few dollars cheaper. The supervisor said they are only obligated to repair or replace with the same model number (refurb) at their discretion with no exceptions :cry: . I guess you got lucky.
Costco has a 6 month no questions asked return policy on GPS equipment so the 2720 has a new home back at Garmin.
I purchased a new 2820 on line from Wal-Mart and made $40 on the whole deal :wink: .
Sometimes one has to sneak in the back door when dealing with Garmin.

·
Registered
296 Posts
...I have to contact Garmin about it. I've emailed them, but probably will go ahead and call, to see if I can get some satisfaction.
I never got around to calling them - they responded to my email with mailing instructions and an RMA number. Seems they are going to go ahead and repair the unit. I'll get it done now during the winter, so it will be ready to use come Spring.

Nice to see them step up. But then that's their reputation - they give good custormer service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts