GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Streets and Trips 2007 today and downloaded the GPS Utility Version 4.20.9.

I can't get MapSoruce 6.5 or 8.0 to accept the *est converted to *gbd files.

I can download the converted gdb files to my 2610.

When I try and open the converted file MapSource says this in not a valid MapSource file and cannot be opened.

All help and insights to what is going wrong will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
chief,
this sounds like the newer format of MS S&T 2007 is the culprit. have you or can you perform the trick with an older version of streets & trips?

next be sure you "SAVE AS" when you select to save the converted route.
also try to save the converted file to the desktop and then have mapsource open it from there.

guess i will be getting a version of 2007 m$$&T to start testing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cdog, I think you are correct that 2007 is the problem. I don't have any older versions of S&T but have been using Delorem Street Atlas 9 (I don't like the format of the later Street Atlus maps).

When I import an *est file some of the waypoints ID are garbage. If I clean them up, then the file will load into MapSource but the waypoints are not necessarily where they should be.

Looks like I will have to wait for an update the the of the GPS Utility. I notice an Beta version is on their website so I will try that.

Thanks your input.

PS Jon, if you see this could you give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
oldtags said:
... PS Jon, if you see this could you give me your thoughts.
I use S&T 2006 and the full version of GPSU with no problems so far converting EST files to either GDB, GPX or USR formats. I normally use GPSU to rename the waypoints to a friendly name, but that's the only real 'problem' I've had.

Have you tried converting the EST files to a GPX file and opening that with MapSource?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jon, I have tried all combinations and am still getting garbage for some of the waytponts and some of the Lat/Lon entry are wrong too when I load *est files into the GPS Utility. It looks like the GPS utility program has a problem reading the 2007 *est files. I tried Street Atlas 9 (an old Delorem Program) and the utility reads the files okay. I have imported MapSource files, converted them to Streets & Trips, then reloaded and reconverted to *bbd and *gpx with good results. I really suspect something is different with S&T 2007. I tried the beta version that was released this month with the same results. I'll hold off for a while and see the there is an update to the utility later.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey chief,
Another idea regarding the Waypoint fiasco. i have found *IF* one does not really scroll the detail down to the finest detail level mapsource after converting will not yield agreeable results.
DAMHIK!

Additionally, if when one has made a conversion and then when opening the new converted file and MAPSOURCE displays the route as a straight line just Re-figure the route. This will usually "snap" the route back onto the new roads

i will be getting 2007 in a few days/months as i like to have the latest with all possible updates. i will forward items as i find out any when i get the product.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, Alan Murphy, the author of GPSU, came to the rescue. There definitely was a file format change in S&T 2007. If he gives me the okay to post the fix, I will post the fix in a new topic. If you need an immediate workaround, send me a pm or e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the fix.

·
Registered
275 Posts
gpsu

Where is this utility obtained from?

Will it work with a Street Pilot III, Mapsource, City Navigator 8 and S&T 2006?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts