GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! The dealership must have put these bolts on with a torque wrench.

I was able to remove one of them with a hex wrench, but stripped the other.

I have put WD-40 on it, but do not want to do more damage.

What would be the easiest way to remove it without damaging the threads on the bolt or the hole?

I tried to put a vise grip on the head, but it just slips off.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Use a reverse drill bit the same size as the threaded size of the bolt. Sometimes simply drilling it will back it out, if not the head will pop off as soon as you go past the head area.

Then maybe the bolt will back out with the tension released from the threads.

If not then use a different drill bit a bit smaller than the bolt, small enough to not damage the threads, drill it about 3/8 deep or so and then use a good square style easy out. Use reverse drill bits the entire time, because sometimes they will back out the old bolt.

So all has failed, sometimes it will. At that point you drill the whole thing out and install a heli-coil.

Note" Before you start all this, you can use a very small chisel, and gently tap the bolt head in the counterclockwise direction , sometimes that will do the trick. Or drill the head just a tiny bit and pound a larger size hex head into the hole, that will sometimes work to. If not resort to the above tactics.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what I needed to know. Will follow your advice first thing in the morning. Off to get a small chisel and reverse drill bits.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wow! The dealership must have put these bolts on with a torque wrench.

I was able to remove one of them with a hex wrench, but stripped the other.

I have put WD-40 on it, but do not want to do more damage.

What would be the easiest way to remove it without damaging the threads on the bolt or the hole?

I tried to put a vise grip on the head, but it just slips off.
I have used a hand impact driver, put on the correct size allen socket, smack it with a hammer. This jars and turns the bolt at the same time. Never had a problem getting frozen bolts out. You can get them at most parts stores.:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
That is exactly what I needed to know. Will follow your advice first thing in the morning. Off to get a small chisel and reverse drill bits.
As suggested also, there are many ways, an impact driver will sometimes work if you do not have to smack it too hard and damage a casting.

You can grind the point of a phillips a bit, so the cross part of the tool will bite into the bolt head, smack it good and sometimes that will work. Even the hex allen might work, try that first, then the phillips and so on.

They can be easy or tuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This exact bolt gave me issues as well. I could not figure out how to get this out so I took my bike to a machine shop to get their opinion. The senior tech came out and looked at my metric torx and then got the domestic size torx/socket adapter. He placed the socket on an extension and smacked it hard 2-3 times. The torx / socket/ and extension all stood flat out in a line. Then he took a ratchet and broke it loose. Inspection found red loctite on the bolt. I then replaced both bolts and used blue loctite. I was amazed and gladly paid the $30.00 bill and rode on with new knowledge !!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used a hand impact driver, put on the correct size allen socket, smack it with a hammer. This jars and turns the bolt at the same time. Never had a problem getting frozen bolts out. You can get them at most parts stores.:shrug:

Got an hand impact driver with a couple different size hex sockets. Had to use one slightly larger then the scoket size and with a large hammer was able to get it to force it into the bolt. It was very tight. Then carefully, I was able to unscrew the bolt from its socket. This increased my confidence to take on other minor projects. Thanks all.:bow:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
+1 on the drill and or the impact driver. I have no idea why they use hex heads on parts like that instead of bolt heads. Then add insult to injury by making them soft. Go figure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Comanche,

There are lots of ways to try to remove this bolt. What I'd do first is take a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut a good straight slot in the head of that bolt as deeply as I could without damage to what's behind it. Then I'd take a hand impact driver with a straight bladed bit and fit it solidly in the slot. Make sure the bit bottoms in the slot. If it doesn't, work on the slot a bit with the dremel to allow the bit to seat well. Then with the impact tool set to remove (make sure it's set for the right direction of movement), smack that driver and see if that bolt doesn't move. When it does, you should be able to take a large straight bladed screw driver and remove it. I have one with a square shank that allows me to use a small crescent wrench to turn the screw driver while I apply pressure with the other hand to hold it in the slot. I've had good luck with this.

The suggestions to use the impact driver with a torx bit or similar might also just work. If not, try cutting that slot and see what happens. if that doesn't work, the the left handed drill bit would be my next attempt.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Most people that the wheel was man greatest invention. I think it was the Hammer.

Anything get stuck whack it a couple of times with a hammer.

The chisel and hammer worked for me.

Oh, I forgot .... second most important invention.....MyDol tablets.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts