GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Professional - Tip from the only Professional GL1800 repair shop

I'd never thought of trying this till yesterday, when I came across another valve chain tensioner cap bolt, with a rounded head. After trying a 6-point socket, and Vise Grips, and thinking about how soft the bolt is, I decided to try smacking the head of the cap bolt with large steel punch and hammer. Sure enough, the cap bolt's metal stretched, and the bolt gave up its tightness. I was then able to remove it with my fingers. I was then able to adjust the valves, and I replaced the cap bolt, and crush washer with new ones.

·
Vendor
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
874 Posts
That is why I asked. I had a really difficult time getting the one off on the right cylinder because it was so darn tight and ABS makes it even more interesting. I didn't try the punch trick because I couldn't see how to get a good angle on the tool. Did you use a center punch or a flat punch?

Ron

·
Vendor
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is why I asked. I had a really difficult time getting the one off on the right cylinder because it was so darn tight and ABS makes it even more interesting. I didn't try the punch trick because I couldn't see how to get a good angle on the tool. Did you use a center punch or a flat punch?

Ron
I used my favorite tool to seat steering head bearings. A Snap-on bearing race installer tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts