GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install mirror hand wings. Got one side done just fine. Went to the other side and ended up stripping the phillips screw head trying to get it out!! Any ideas on what to do now??? Will a backout work, I have never used a backout? Thanks for any help you can give.:shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
There are a few techniques (E-Z Out, reverse twist drill bits, screw extractors) that could be used but since you are not that familiar with doing that, it may be easier for you to take it to a mechanic (doesn't have to be a honda shop for such a common procedure) and have them remove it. They might not even charge you anything. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Uh oh, your screw is screwed. Hum?? That thing is up in that little hole, no way to cut a slot in it.

Cannot beat on it it is all too fragile.

Take the entire mirror off the bike, to the work bench, wrap it up good in a towel and put in a vise.

Use an center punch very sharp and punch center of the screw. Now drill an 1/8th inch hole about a 1/4 inch deep, hold the drill straight.

Now use a square type easy out, not the ice cream cone twisty type but a good square one, easy does it, break the tip off in the hole and you are really in trouble then. If it still sticks, use a 3/16 bit and one size larger easy out.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Here is what I would suggest. Take the center scews out of both mirrors and buy the Muth signal mirrrors. This way you upgrade, solve the problem and have a new SAFETY FEATURE

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Uh oh, your screw is screwed. Hum?? That thing is up in that little hole, no way to cut a slot in it.

Cannot beat on it it is all too fragile.

Take the entire mirror off the bike, to the work bench, wrap it up good in a towel and put in a vise.

Use an center punch very sharp and punch center of the screw. Now drill an 1/8th inch hole about a 1/4 inch deep, hold the drill straight.

Now use a square type easy out, not the ice cream cone twisty type but a good square one, easy does it, break the tip off in the hole and you are really in trouble then. If it still sticks, use a 3/16 bit and one size larger easy out.
Ya know Kit you always have a way of making things complicated. I have a neighbor who had a parakeet that just couldn't talk after weeks of training :twisted:. My neighbor is a machinist by trade. Anyway about 6 weeks ago my neighbor took the bird to a veterinarian who claimed the bird need delicate surgery so upper and lower parts of the beak could be filed to line up correctly and he would talk with no problem :thumbup:. The vet wanted $50 to do the surgery. My neighbor said that was outrageous and said he could do the filing job himself :eek:4:. I talked with the neighbor a week ago and asked him how the surgery went. He said he filed the beak to line up perfectly :roll:.
I said he must talk very well now. My neighbor said no because when he took the parakeet out of the vise it was dead :shock:.
Sort of like putting a plastic mirror shell in a vise:22yikes: :a13: :joke::joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ya know Kit you always have a way of making things complicated. I have a neighbor who had a parakeet that just couldn't talk after weeks of training :twisted:. My neighbor is a machinist by trade. Anyway about 6 weeks ago my neighbor took the bird to a veterinarian who claimed the bird need delicate surgery so upper and lower parts of the beak could be filed to line up correctly and he would talk with no problem :thumbup:. The vet wanted $50 to do the surgery. My neighbor said that was outrageous and said he could do the filing job himself :eek:4:. I talked with the neighbor a week ago and asked him how the surgery went. He said he filed the beak to line up perfectly :roll:.
I said he must talk very well now. My neighbor said no because when he took the parakeet out of the vise it was dead :shock:.
Sort of like putting a plastic mirror shell in a vise:22yikes: :a13: :joke::joke:
Well like the Charmin tissue, do not squeeze that poor bird so hard. :doorag:

·
Registered
201 Posts
a left handed drill bit should do the trick......no dead birds of smashed mirrors

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maybe when you get the mirror off, to where you can see the fastener, a phillips slightly ground off would have enough grip to remove the fastener from the plastic threads.

But you have to be able to see it and standing on your head does not work well.

Might even be able to turn it with a long nose set of needle nose if you can get grip on the head of the screw.

If they will not fit, buy a cheep pair, grind them off so they will fit.

The reverse drill I just assume to use that anytime you are trying to remove a fastener. Sometimes it runs it right out.

Now about that bird, I think the main problem with that was the hand file. Using a hand file just took way too long and the bird died in surgery. I think if a diamond grinder had been used the surgery would have been of short duration and survival would have been highly likely. :joke::joke:

·
Vendor
18,600 Posts
lol ... what a stupid machinest for killing his bird. Putting his pet in a vise is like feeding it to a python.

Now back to dealing with a none breathing piece of plastic. If you don't have the correct screw driver bits to work on your Wing, you can get them at JustWings.com so this doesn't happen to your other fasteners.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
One should grind all the tips on all screwdrivers that will be used on "metric" machines. Take a look at the one included in the tool kit and make your Phillips look like that by grinding. This will not normally hurt you using that Phillips anywhere else, in fact, it will likely enhance them.

Buying a set of JIS drivers is really not necessary. Lots of us don't have $$$$ to burn but we do have a grinder or sander.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

Now that there is funny!

·
Registered
316 Posts
it helped. it keep me from putting my cat in the vice to trim his nails. i am glad I read it I went and got a big towel to wrap him in. work great not dead and trimmed to perrrrrrfection :wrong::joke:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Put some lapping compound on the tip of the screwdriver and it will grip into the grooves - it works !

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take the mirror off and try putting the needle nose type vise grips on the head of the screw. Worked for me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wonder if a guy would have any success using one of those body panel spot riveters... Just thinkin that if ya spot welded one of dem there dent puller rivets, ya jes might be able to get a grip on er too...

Get ya some JIS drivers... They really aren't too expensive and will save you much head ache for years to come...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Trying to install mirror hand wings. Got one side done just fine. Went to the other side and ended up stripping the phillips screw head trying to get it out!! Any ideas on what to do now??? Will a backout work, I have never used a backout? Thanks for any help you can give.:shrug:
Now back to dealing with a none breathing piece of plastic. If you don't have the correct screw driver bits to work on your Wing, you can get them at JustWings.com so this doesn't happen to your other fasteners.
the right screwdrivers will help in the future(JIS). I'd find a place to remove it. I'd sure have someone else do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
grinder

Try grinding the tip down a smig, and see if it will bite. .That would be, off the philips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue. Drilled hole in center of screw and used screw extractor to remove. Just don't use too small of an extractor since as stated previously, you don't want to break the extractor off in the screw. Took about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going to a local independent shop goldwing mechanic. He had to remove mirror housing, remove mirror from housing, drill hole in bolt, then use screw extractor to get bolt out! A lot more than I would have been able to do. New mirror wings installed and they seem to work great. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts