GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after trouble shooting some lighting issues (for the second time) and removing the trunk lid liner in as many times, I have done the usual and stipped out one of the plastic threads. Unfortunately, I have the trunk lid stops and it's one of those corner threads that I have stripped. Anyone have a fix for this?

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Your screwed(uh your lid is)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well lets see from simple to advanced.

Stick a wire tie in the hole and run the screw in, it will hold. cut the wire tie off.

Fill the hole with ABS glue, just before it sets run the screw in.

Fill the hole with some kind of epoxy you can drill and tap such as PC7 or JB Weld and then drill and tap the hole and install the screw or bolt with the machine thread.

Or use a self tapping screw, not too big, to split the plastic, just a bit bigger enough to hold.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Kit..

Tried the wire tie and I've tried some regular hot glue, that's what's holding it now, but will need something different in the future.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
One of the nice things about Japanese sizes is that the SAE sizes are just a hair bigger. Go to the hardware store and get some SAE screws the same length and it will fit nice and tight. Hopefully the mounting boss did not split.

You will just have to remember which hole was split.

You can also put some wood glue in the hole, and then coat the screw lightly with some oil or WD 40. When the glue hardens, it won't bond to the screw.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I use ABS cement, dab it in the hole with a Qtip, let it dry, and the screw will go right in as new.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
JB Weld your hole friggin Trunk Closed!!

Problem Solved!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :joke:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts