1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Can you post a couple pictures of it off and a side profile so we can see how it mounts to the bike?.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post a couple pictures of it off and a side profile so we can see how it mounts to the bike?.
Rocky, it comes with 2 "L" brackets. I mounted mine to the top of the license plate bracket. I simply removed the nut from the screw that holds the license plate to the bracket, put the L bracket on the back side of the license plate frame, then put the nut back on.

For wiring, I got Electrical Connection's Plug & Play Harness (part# 08102).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Know anyone else that has one and have they been bothered by LEO's with it? I know for a fact that at least here in MD that is illegal and I believe in most other states it is as well, you can't have a flashing or alternating light on the rear of the bike that does so in a pattern. That is why the Wig-Wag lights is not a pattern, it slowly slows it's flashing down to a steady light. I also know that most, if not all LEO's turn a blind eye to this because it is done in the mind of safety and is no big deal. I know I have one of the Galls Tir3 lights and never had an issue. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... illegal ... you can't have a flashing or alternating light on the rear of the bike that does so in a pattern. That is why the Wig-Wag lights is not a pattern, it slowly slows it's flashing down to a steady light.
Fuse,

The brake light has 7 different patterns. The unit randomly selects a different one each time the brake is applied.

The patterns flash for 4-5 seconds, then the light goes steady on.

Other than the decreasing flash rate of the Wig Wag, I don't see any difference in the behavior since both go to steady after a few seconds. If Wig Wag is legal, isn't Strobinator legal?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks for the pictuires.

As far as being legal.I wouldn't worry about it because none of the lights are facing forward nor can they be seen from the front of the bike.

If in doubt,Ride by a police station and ask them if they think these are illegal?.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If all the patterns go steady after 5 seconds it's legal at least in TN. Here in MD no. I didn't notice that all of the patterns in the video goes steady. One of them went for about 6-7 seconds still doing the wig-wag. Like I said though, I seriously doubt any LEO would say anything. I was just really curious. To your question though, the difference between that bar and the back-off wig wag is that the back off module uses your current brake lights. What you have looks like it's a bar straight off a police car. Like the type in the rear windows of unmarked units. At a distance at night it would look exactly like a police vehicle.

Again - just curious, if it blended in more with the bike I would install it myself. I currently run a Tier 3 light that I know full well is illegal. Had many a LEO behind me and none seemed to care.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If in doubt,Ride by a police station and ask them if they think these are illegal?.
I would go a step further since a lot of LEO's may not really know and research the law yourself. I looked on the lexis-nexus web page and for TN it can flash or wig-wag for 5 seconds and then has to go steady. Here in MD it cant flash or wig wag period. I've done both and never had a problem. And I currently do have the strobe that is flashing the whole
time I have brakes applied, it never goes steady. I am a firm believer, legal or not, there is a huge difference in how fast folks come up to me when I'm stopped and how close they get. Without the Tier 3 they fly up on me and are jut feet away when they stop. With the light they start slowing down way way back and I see most cars will stop a car lengths away and more. I love the light.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... there is a huge difference in how fast folks come up to me when I'm stopped and how close they get. Without the Tier 3 they fly up on me and are jut feet away when they stop. With the light they start slowing down way way back and I see most cars will stop a car lengths away and more.
I've noticed that too. I do LOTS of interstate riding and it's cool when they see the light show it's like "Whoa, back off, something's happening up ahead." I love it. At $200, it's definitely expensive, but if it stops that one dumb a** from hitting me in the rear, it's well worth it.

The video really doesn't do the unit justice. It's really bright and eye catching in real life when the brakes come on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice lightbar but I gotta go with FUSE on this one, while I like the WIG WAG idea I dont like that it goes to a steady light after a few seconds. When I installed a spoiler over the winter I also did the brake light mod to make the running only lights on the trunk work as brake lights, but I wired all 3 lights to a programmable flasher triggered by the brakes. Now when the brakes are applied I have the 2 outer trunk lights and 2 saddlebag lights on steady and the 2 inner trunk lights as well as spoiler light strobe from fast to slow in repeating order. If it is illegal so be it but I havent had any LEOs say a word yet, I would rather be "illegal" this way than the way some of these so called customs are lit up in the rear. And for that matter sport bikes are getting pretty skimpy on brake lights and turn signals too, but thats for another discussion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts