GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Smart guys…need a little help here before I act. I did a search on the forum about this but no real answer was given after similar complaints. Recently I’ve had a strong fuel smell come from my bike after I shut it down in the garage. It doesn’t happen all the time and when it does the smell goes away after I leave the garage door open. I have not filled up the gas tank too much or forgot my gas cap at the fuel pump (beat you to it.) ;) I do fill up after my rides though. There’s no visible gas leak and I suspect if there was the fuel smell would remain. The only answer I found was to replace the fuel cap and that the Evap charcoal canister might be saturated with fuel. What can I do to purge this canister if it is saturated? Is that caused by operating at a too low RPM? :shrug:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a simular problem on my 2005. Not only did I notice it while parking it in the garage after a ride, but it also became noticable while riding on mountain passes above 6000 ft.

I did a search and remember coming across a post saying to replace your gas cap. I bought a new one for around $25.00 from the dealer and the problem completely went away. It would most likely be covered under warrenty but at the time I just paid for it and was happy it got ride of the gas smell.

Jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06. Posted the question here but no answers other than the evap fuel canister. I no longer fill past the neck base. 19k on the clock. Runs fine, 'clunks' into 2nd gear, and has not jumped out of 3-5. Oh well..........:shrug:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same thing just the other day. I was real low on gas and it was the only time it has happened. I also ride an 06.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had the problem and went through two gas caps fixing it because the first replacement was a "honda" gas cap the parts guy grabbed and said this will work, try it.

Make sure when you try a new cap it is the correct part number for your year model Goldwing. There are at least two and I cannot remember when the year model break was but a Yamaha service manager friend of mine solved this problem. He pointed out that Honda changed the cap (I think) either in '06 or '07 along with subtle changes in the evap system to meet California CARB regulations.

On the way to solving this issue my wing was torn down pretty far to inspect the fuel rails and all fuel lines.

I noticed it when coming to a stop after running for a while but the only way I could duplicate the problem was while it was warm, ride in slow circles and you could smell the gas. Letting it sit and run in the shop did not duplicate it and it wasn't until I finally found a service manager who would ride it was it duplicated at the dealer.

The problem started showing up occasionally and then then became more frequent.

I hope this disjointed out of order rambling post helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is another answer for any future searches by forum members with the same problem and a thank you for the suggestion.

I purchased a replacement gas cap from Honda. They wanted to do a full service call to see if it was indeed the gas cap so it can be replaced by the warranty. :rolleyes:

Anyway I just bought one out of pocket and my problem went away. I suggest step one is checking for obvious fuel leaks with your nose. Step two is replacing the gas cap. Step three is a service call. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Step 1 should be identify exactly what it is about the original cap that is defective so that it could be corrected. Is it a problem of not acting as a vent, or is it supposed to be a non vented cap that is now lealing, and such. Seems odd to toss a cap that may just need a vent cleared if it has a vent, or a leak fixed -- if its not vented. Also, when the cap is the culprit, is the odor still coming from the evap purge line (the big open rubber tube plumbed onto the evap can)?

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,544 Posts
The cap is vented like most new cars. It has a oneway valve, it only vents air in. It is not supposed to vent out fumes. I would look at the purge hose running to the canister to make sure it is not pinched. It is laying under the shelter and can easily get pinched closed. The other things would be the connections on the purge solenoid, hoses and the electrical plug.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Something I've noticed over the last five years or so is a strong unpleasant smell form the exhaust of the bike and the car. This applies to both my late '03 and my '06 Wings. I am told it is because of the reformulation of fuel between the winter and summer seasons. The bike stinks now after riding, but will shortly stop, and the mell won't return until next spring. The local paper has mentioned the fact the refineries are currently changing fuel formulas, as required by our Nannies.

Ride long and safe..and if it were the cap, it wouldn't return each spring, now would it?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6 TE
'08 Hannigan GTL sidecar

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would be checking all gas connections for a leak. Sometimes while riding, the wind blowing across a connection can create a vacume and actually suck out fuel and when the bike is stopped you can't find it. I do not think smelling gas in your garage is something that should be happening. My money is on a bad fitting.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I had the same problem after my 12K service at the dealer. Returned three times, each time they reassuring me that they fixed the problem. When I did my 16K service on my own found out they did not reattach the gas tank vent hose during the 12K service, it was draped across the engine... problem solved.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got back from Orlando parked the bike and one hour later I found my garage smells like fuel, bad enough that I had no choice and open the garage for an hour. I looked everywhere for leaks, but didn't find any? I used the research tool and found this thread.
Any other Ideas or should I have the dealer replace my cap under warranty?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I would ride it again and make sure I could duplicate it. Nothing more frustrating to a tech than not being able to duplicate a malfunction described as... One time it did something.

If you can duplicate it, THEN remove and reinstall the cap and try to duplicate it again.

Is it raw fuel you're smelling? Mine stinks up the garage once in a while when i come in but it is more of a ripe burned smell. Only seems to do it when I come straight in from the expressway, I'm only a block away, after riding pretty hard.

It is bad form to walk into your dealer and tell them what to do. Tell them what the bike is doing, what you have done to try and duplicate the problem and if they seem interested you might say something along the lines of "I have heard of the gas cap causing it but don't know how check that". You'll get a lot farther with the folks behind the counter by giving them a chance to do what they are paid to do.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My 03 has the gas smell in the garage also. I asked my mechanic about it and he asked me if I turned the bike off before I put it in the garage. I told him that I did, to open the garage door, and he said leave it running and open the door then pull in the garage. I tried that and it is much much better.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got back from a ride today and it did it again, It looks like the smell is coming from the gas cap. Does warranty cover gas cap? I rather ask the stupid question here then at the dealer.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,544 Posts
Yes, If you unscrew the gas cap when you smell it, does it blow pressure out? If so, then your evap system has a problem. If not, then it may just be the cap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts