GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Wing, it's an 05 with 27,000 miles and very little mods! When I ride it home from work and park it in my garage my garage gets a very heavy gas smell! It has Cobra pipes on it, I never have any exhaust smells like rich or anything but the fumes really worry me! I have been leaving it outside for a while after riding to avoid this. I see no signs of fuel leaking or seeping anywhere? Anyone else have this issue or know what might be causing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 2005 does the same thing. Prior threads on this issue on this and other forums indicated, as I recall (the majority opinion anyway) was that this is normal. Dealers with whom I talked said the same thing. As I understand it, hot engine heats up the gas. Vapors from the hot gas are the smell and apparently nothing to worry about. I've taken to parking mine in the shade outside the garage when it's hot like that to let it air out outside for a bit.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
How full is your gas tank? Do you fill it up above the bottom of the internal neck? If so, it can cause the evap system to suck up liquid gas and drip it out inside the lower front cowl. Don't fill it up above the bottom of the neck. If you aren't over filling the tank it may just be the gas expanding from the heat of the engine cooking the gas tank after you park it. That is normal and you can't do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you are speaking of a funk smell with a burned petroleum odor, my '07 does it too. I leave it outside the garage for 10 minutes when I get home.

If you are speaking of a raw gas smell that is something else. I experienced this right after I bought the FatGirl new and it turned out to be a bad gas cap.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Tulsawalk, you should check the rubber drain hose that hangs down under the bike right next to one of the O2 sensors. It blows around and gets against the sensor and melts and smells like burning rubber.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it may be a normal thing then! It has no funk, just gas smell and it does not seem to matter if it's full or near empty. I did smell rubber yesterday, I need to look at that vent tube maybe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just to jump on board, mine has the same issue. Didn't seem to do it until a year ago or so. Worse on hot days.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My 04 will smell on hot days.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The funk smell I'm referring to smells like it's coming from the cats and only appears after a hard run in on the interstate to home, hitting all the lights green and no real idle time.

I solved the raw gas smell some years ago. Joe Harrison Motorsports looked at it for me when I was in San Antonio, they could smell it and took it down to the fuel rails looking for the leak but couldn't find anything. I was refueling a few weeks later (just living with the fumes) and when I took the gas cap off the center fell off. Got a new cap the problem went away.

Techdude, I will take a look at the hose issue even though it's not a rubber smell I'm referring to.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mine too

05 with just over 73000 does it also. also notice it more on hot days. never had an isue with it other than odor. now I ignore it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
fuel leak

Mine had a cracked fuel sending unit, fill it up and take the seat off and you will see it. Dealer replaced under warrentee. You would think the carbon canister would catch any other vapors if smell comming from intake aria

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 03 with 72K and I notice it also on hot days in so az. If I change the air cleaner it seems to help for awhile....:shrug:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
My 02 would from time to time smell of sulfur but never a raw gas smell. I typically fill about 1 quarter up the inner neck while on the side stand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts