GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my '07 back from the dealer today after they attempted to install a Bushtec trailer hitch. Of course, none of the electrical wiring they did was correct and I have to take it back tomorrow to get it re-wired. However, I noticed that there is a strong gasoline smell in the garage tonight where I park the bike. What else could they have screwed up while they had the seat off? I don't see any gasoline leaking on the floor.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Chris,

Can't do any brain surgery over the phone.

If you filled your tank, and filled it up over the bottom of the fill tupe, this could cause strong odor of gas, as well as a sulpher smell while riding.

Do you think that maybe they tipped the bike enough, to spill gas, and what you are getting is residue?

When you go to the dealer tomorrow, I think that I would have a strong chat with the service manager.

First the wiring job and now this.

Bulldog

·
Registered
412 Posts
me too

I had the same issue once -- strong smell in the garage and while riding... after 5 days I found I left the gas cap off last time I filled up. I went back to the gas station and surprise surprise it was still there sitting on top of the pump. I now leave it on the seat while filling up.

enjoy the ride,
Royal

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: me too

royal said:
I had the same issue once -- strong smell in the garage and while riding... after 5 days I found I left the gas cap off last time I filled up. I went back to the gas station and surprise surprise it was still there sitting on top of the pump. I now leave it on the seat while filling up.

enjoy the ride,
Royal
I checked that, the cap is on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
MAYBE ITS YOUR CAR? Someone eat at Taco Bell? look around the garage for the non-bike culprit?

Probably not a leak..the gas tank comments are usually it. Whats does your nose tell you? Move the bike to another local and give it a sniff test... you will probably end up smelling coolant but thats another thread.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Big bird, They'll do it if you really top 'em off, even with the cap on. Check the gasket on your cap too. You might wanna pull your seat just for the peace of mind though. If your not seeing anything underneath it see if it goes away. Otherwise it's gonna be one of those stripsearch kinda deals. :p Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts