GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to go dark with a Primacy zp, got tire, like others have asked will it fit? I removed the wheel from the bike yesterday out the back. I was looking up into the inner plastic fender area and saw the M/T had maybe 1/4" of clearance between the tire and the fender on the battery side. I measured the bike tire at 7 1/8" od. The primacy is 8 1/4" od. The inner fender measures 8" even. How in the world is it going to fit. I have a 2005, what's going on? Also can I get the c/t back in through the back, it was a pita to get the b/t out that way? Are all inner fenders the same size? May have to put bike tire back on, lay her over and remove it that way, making it easier to get c/t back in. :-(
With the forum not working right I hope "some" darksiders will see this. If PM's start working and would be interested in talking me through it I would appreciate it big time!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here's what worked for me.

With the bike laid over, it's the only way I've removed the back tire.

Let the air out of the tire.
I put dish soap on both sides of the tire where it rubs going in.
Angle the tire and push, it will slide right in.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Be sure and block the front tire so that the bike does not move forward as you push the tire into place from the rear.

As suggested, letting the air out should do the trick.

gramps

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
WalMart bag works too! I always lay bike down to change rear. It just seems safer to me. IMHO

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
I think the lay-over method is easier. Put suspension on 25. Take valve stem out to make sure all air is out. I use a plastic garbage bag to cut friction between the tire and inner fender. I also installed extra cable ties on the inner fender to give me more clearance. Most people say they don't put the extra cable ties on, but I did. You also have to rotate the center stand down to give you clearance from the ground.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yup. You can remove and install the tire from the back but it is a royal PITA (even more so on 2006 and later). I guess once you do that to yourself you become a believer. :lol:

If you continue with the attempt from the rear of the bike, definitely strap the center stand to the engine guard to keep it from folding because you are gonna need to push that tire pretty good. First to get past the lugs and then past the liner. Pushing and lifting from that angle is a real joy :joke:. It was bad with just a MT, I can't imagine what it would be like with a RF CT. :shock:

Plastic bags or wax paper on the tire where it contacts the fender will help it slide past. A little soapy water on the fender wouldn't hurt either.

Letting the air out may help a little but those sidewalls don't give much. Some have needed to tire back that inner fender but normally that is for the 205 crowd. Not sure anyone has needed to do that with the 195.

With the bike on it's side, you have much better leverage and the bike is much more stable.

Good luck! :thumbup:
Going to go dark with a Primacy zp, got tire, like others have asked will it fit? I removed the wheel from the bike yesterday out the back. I was looking up into the inner plastic fender area and saw the M/T had maybe 1/4" of clearance between the tire and the fender on the battery side. I measured the bike tire at 7 1/8" od. The primacy is 8 1/4" od. The inner fender measures 8" even. How in the world is it going to fit. I have a 2005, what's going on? Also can I get the c/t back in through the back, it was a pita to get the b/t out that way? Are all inner fenders the same size? May have to put bike tire back on, lay her over and remove it that way, making it easier to get c/t back in. :-(
With the forum not working right I hope "some" darksiders will see this. If PM's start working and would be interested in talking me through it I would appreciate it big time!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
also

Yup. You can remove and install the tire from the back but it is a royal PITA (even more so on 2006 and later). I guess once you do that to yourself you become a believer. :lol:

With the bike on it's side, you have much better leverage and the bike is much more stable.

Good luck! :thumbup:
Don't forget. It doesn't have so far to fall either.

Richard

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK,OK,OK! I'll put the wheel back on, lay her over and shove that SOB in there. I just can't hardly believe that big sucker is going to fit! I'm ready to be amazed.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I'll assume the ZP only comes as a 195-55? I use a 195-65 so my speedo is correct so I'm not real familiar with the RF tires.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I'll assume the ZP only comes as a 195-55? I use a 195-65 so my speedo is correct so I'm not real familiar with the RF tires.
From the Michelin website:

Part numbersTire Size, Load Index & Speed RatingMSRP $
(PER TIRE)
Availability
16265195/55R16 87 H$198Inventory Available
83221205/55R16 91 HNot AvailableLimited Availability
73217205/55R16 91 H$249Limited Availability
19607205/55R16 91 H$199Inventory Available
92047225/55R16 95 H$210Limited Availability
40634205/60R16 92 H$205Inventory Available

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
From the Michelin website:

Part numbers
Tire Size, Load Index & Speed Rating
MSRP $
(PER TIRE)
Availability
195/55R16 87 H
$198
Inventory Available
205/55R16 91 H
Not Available
Limited Availability
205/55R16 91 H
$249
Limited Availability
205/55R16 91 H
$199
Inventory Available
225/55R16 95 H
$210
Limited Availability
205/60R16 92 H
$205
Inventory Available
Well, I don't see where the OP stated what size tire he is trying to stuff in. If it's a 225, he will have a problem. :shock:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have a 2005 and the Michelin Alpin Primacy AP fits just fine.
I put the bike up on my motorcycle jack and just drop it out o slip it in. The plastic bag trick works gret.
It looks like most who have problems either have the bike on the center stand or on a lift table. You really
need the clearance below the tire for easier installation. The lay-Down method helps here.... but a motorcycle
Jack has proven to be my solution. Have changed several this way on many bikes.
Can do the same thing with a sidewalk curb, backing up and using the center stand.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Well, I don't see where the OP stated what size tire he is trying to stuff in. If it's a 225, he will have a problem. :shock:
I sure hope he didn't try a 225. Talk about 10# of **** in a 5# bag!! From what I recall, the clearance issues came with 205s. For me, I got a Speedo-Healer so it would never be an issue.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a 195/55r/16. It's not the height that looks to be a problem, it's the width. My wheel well,(inner fender area) is only 8 inches wide, the tire without air is 8 1/4". Don't see where the clearance for side room is going to come from. Looked at the plastic fender to see if I can get any extra room but the battery and a bunch of plugs are there that don't look like they will move to get any. You guys say it will fit, I'm going to give it a try.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
It's a 195/55r/16. It's not the height that looks to be a problem, it's the width. My wheel well,(inner fender area) is only 8 inches wide, the tire without air is 8 1/4". Don't see where the clearance for side room is going to come from. Looked at the plastic fender to see if I can get any extra room but the battery and a bunch of plugs are there that don't look like they will move to get any. You guys say it will fit, I'm going to give it a try.
That was my first CT too. I also thought it was too tight. But once it was in there it worked well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The Alpin will fit right in there with the wing on the side, put carpet so the crash guards lay on them, get fuel level down to less than a 1/4 of a tank, Put air level on 0) (but not really neceeary) Remove right side foot peg assy if you have one, watch so you have room for antenna, Slowly lower down while in gear, Pull out center stand after wing is on its side, Put in Neutral so you can get to lugs easier, Tire pulls right out (if it hangs up you can let out air but should not be necessary) Put Alpin up in there with no air in it, it will drag maybe a little ,use plastic garbage bag or lube inner fender, but not necessary, Torque it up and put air in tire. Fold center stand back in , Put in gear, put side stand in the down position and set the wing back up. Took me and my buddy 10 min the very first time we had ever done it.. & that's just wrong!!! too easy.. Took me longer to type this than it did to do it. LOL!!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Plastic bag between tire and plastic at contact point works really well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is my amazed look!!!!
Got the bike layed over, put the garbage bag on it, right in, poof!
When I had the tire un-mounted sitting in the garage it measured 8 1/4'' wide. Once it was on the rim it shrank to 7 1/2''. The inner fender measured 8'', so once it was on the rim all is well. I've got just a little less space than I had with the b/t but it looks good.
I've taken the rear of the bike off for the last time to change a tire! It was so easy, the torqueing of the lug nuts was a piece of cake with it layed over, put the belly pan back on that way too. Can't wait till spring to give it a test ride.
Space between  fender and tire.jpg Inner fender clearance.jpg Space in front of tire.jpg View from back.jpg
Getting a number and decal ASAP!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts