GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
:thumbup: LOL! Awesome job! Now that you have that experience under your belt I'm sure it is all to clear on WHY so many of us recommend the layover method.

I didn't realize you were taking the tire measurement off the rim. I was pretty sure when I measured the CT (195 size) to the MT when on the rim, they were close to the same size (not different enough to make a difference). Amazing how they "suck in" when on the rim.

Glad you got it on. Now run out and put some miles on that tire and let us know just how wonderful it rides!
Fi tter Guy;5328657 said:
This is my amazed look!!!!
Got the bike layed over, put the garbage bag on it, right in, poof!
When I had the tire un-mounted sitting in the garage it measured 8 1/4'' wide. Once it was on the rim it shrank to 7 1/2''. The inner fender measured 8'', so once it was on the rim all is well. I've got just a little less space than I had with the b/t but it looks good.
I've taken the rear of the bike off for the last time to change a tire! It was so easy, the torqueing of the lug nuts was a piece of cake with it layed over, put the belly pan back on that way too. Can't wait till spring to give it a test ride.
View attachment 51278 View attachment 51279 View attachment 51280 View attachment 51281
Getting a number and decal ASAP!

Fitter Guy
The thought of laying one over is way worse than doing it. LOL It is a lot easier than going through the rear.

This is my amazed look!!!!
Got the bike layed over, put the garbage bag on it, right in, poof!
When I had the tire un-mounted sitting in the garage it measured 8 1/4'' wide. Once it was on the rim it shrank to 7 1/2''. The inner fender measured 8'', so once it was on the rim all is well. I've got just a little less space than I had with the b/t but it looks good.
I've taken the rear of the bike off for the last time to change a tire! It was so easy, the torqueing of the lug nuts was a piece of cake with it layed over, put the belly pan back on that way too. Can't wait till spring to give it a test ride.
View attachment 51278 View attachment 51279 View attachment 51280 View attachment 51281
Getting a number and decal ASAP!

Terrific story! Now, find your way down to the Spring Dark Side Ride In.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I just can't imagine the installer doesn't know what a M/C tire looks like. Are they really that stupid?

I just can't imagine the installer doesn't know what a M/C tire looks like. Are they really that stupid?
The wheel looks very much like a car rim. I have never had a problem but after the first install the rest were taking a car tire off the rim. My first install I had Firestone store remove mt and install ct...no problem.

Yup. If you don't look close, you wouldn't notice the difference. The bead hump is a bit higher and more round on the moto rim. The CTs mount on the moto rim and bead up just like a CT on a CT rim. Takes the same amount of pressure too. Very ease to set on these Wing rims.

The wheel looks very much like a car rim. I have never had a problem but after the first install the rest were taking a car tire off the rim. My first install I had Firestone store remove mt and install ct...no problem.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.