GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stu_O's Uview coolant change article

Can someone please help me identify which issue Stu wrote about using the Uview tool to refill the cooling system. I've searched all the posts here and found several references to the article, but none specifically stated which issue it was in. I'm looking for the original article, not the second one that talks about "Extracting the Coolant."
I've also tried looking through WingWorld articles in their online archive, but could not find the one I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I just received mine Friday, and did my coolant change this weekend. What a sweet tool, and everything is heavy solid brass, including the valves.

Not counting the needless screwing around with the coolant bottle, and the wasted time foolishly flushing the system, the drain and fill took a little longer than doing an oil change. Next time it will be a breeze. You should be able to do a coolant change with this tool in about a half hour without spilling a drop of coolant, and guaranteed no air lock, no blipping the throttle, no burping the system, and no topping off a second or third time. Drain it. Pull a vacuum. Fill it. You're done.

I haven't read Stu's article, although I would like to see if he does it any differently. I dropped out of GWRRA a couple of years ago.

This was my first coolant change on my 02. :oops: I will now be doing it every spring. It's that easy. The cars get done next weekend.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Ok... for those of us who don't get WingWorld, can someone provide a quick synopsis of what using this kit involves?

When I was doing my winter maint. a few months back... one of my projects was changing the coolant for the first time since I bought the bike, and I will admit that the process was a PITA.

So just what's involved?

Obviously the kit contains fitting and all... and I'm not looking for the full evaluation of the product. Just the highlights of what's involved, such as... what?

Remove filler cap
Snake a tube into the line
use fitting over the filler neck
etc.

I mean... is it that simple, or much more involved such as pulling parts, replacing hoses, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Gentlemen, if you google "wing world archives" and look up October 2007 Page 30, you will get the whole story on the U View and how to remove almost all of the old coolant. I bought the U View and it works great. Stu is the Gold Wing Guru!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Stu is the Gold Wing Guru!
I agree. Stu has his detractors because he scoffs at many of the modifications people do, but he is arguably the most knowledgeable Goldwing expert we have access to. I put a great deal of faith in everything he says.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Gentlemen, if you google "wing world archives" and look up October 2007 Page 30, you will get the whole story on the U View and how to remove almost all of the old coolant.
Thanks. I could not find a way for non members to get to the archives from the Wing World home page, and didn't think to try and Google directly to it. I would post the link, but that may not be allowed.

I read the article. There is one thing I did not do, and that is to fill the hose with coolant first. They didn't mention that in the instructions. It would explain why I had to add about a half pint of coolant to top off the system.

In my case, since that half pint is about how much the hose can hold, I am confident that the air I pumped into the system came right to the top. However, this is probably a good step to follow. Under the right (or wrong) conditions, you probably could inject an air pocket into the system, which would defeat the whole purpose of buying the tool.

Stu is right that you do have to pinch off the return hose. It took me a few minutes to figure out why I couldn't pull a vacuum, and then I remembered reading in the instructions that some vehicles need this extra step.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Gentlemen, if you google "wing world archives" and look up October 2007 Page 30, you will get the whole story on the U View and how to remove almost all of the old coolant.
Thanks... found the article you mentioned, but it wasn't quite the whole story of what I wanted. However, I did find the previous write-up from the February 2007 edition where he first reveiws the tool & details what's involved.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts