GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, there have been a few threads on stubby antennas, so I thought I would post this pic.

I've never liked the looks of the stock whip antenna. Installed this black stubby today.

I can report that the signal reception while sitting in my driveway in town is strong. I don't know how this antenna effects reception on the highway away from cities, but I never listen to the radio, so I really don't care. I'm happy with the appearance. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QVZ2CK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't know would a silver color one look even better? Would it match the base? It's 4".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Please let us know how they work on the open road away from towns and cities. I have been looking for one myself but after reading numerous reviews have decided against one. I might buy one just to get rid of that big long ass antenna though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I will try to post a pic. Never did that on a forum before. It will be good practice if the photo challenge thread ever gets started. I'm hoping it just blends in. I only listen to the radio when there is a game on. I mostly listen to audio books

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did the same 2 years ago and love the look and don't use the radio so don't care about reception.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Question on these stubby aerials.

Can you still use the folding joint.

I ask as I use a full cover when stored and a 1/2 cover when out and about overnight.
Where the cover goes over the joint there is not much extra room.

Thanks in advance.

Kiwi

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Question on these stubby aerials.

Can you still use the folding joint.

I ask as I use a full cover when stored and a 1/2 cover when out and about overnight.
Where the cover goes over the joint there is not much extra room.

Thanks in advance.

Kiwi
I doubt you can use the folding....Although I doubt you would need it, the antenna should be short enough to not interfere with the cover.... I hope...?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Most don't interfere with the cover since they're rubber and flexible. The really stubby ones are aluminum and smooth, so as long as you're careful when installing the cover, you should be good. Also, the folding part of the setup is the part attached to the antenna itself, so when removed you're left with the base only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I just recently installed a stubby on my 07
But I’m having a hard time trying to post a picture of it. Any advice on how to post pictures on this forum would be appreciated
Thanks
Ralph

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Click edit, scroll down to where you see "manage attachments" and click on one of the browse blocks. If this screen doesn't appear, click on the "go advanced" button and it will take you to the manage attachments screen. This will take you to your photos, select the photo you want to attach and click "open". That should return you to the browse screen, click upload. It will upload and when that's complete, you'll see the jpeg number appear. Click on the "close window" button which should take you back to the edit screen. Click "save" and your picture should appear in your post.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I am very interested in the antenna in the link provided by the OP. But reception is important to me, so I hope someone here can speak firsthand, as to how the stubby compares to the OEM whip antenna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you Mountainrider.
Still can’t get it to work. I’ll have to find another way

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am very interested in the antenna in the link provided by the OP. But reception is important to me, so I hope someone here can speak firsthand, as to how the stubby compares to the OEM whip antenna.
Joe, I went for a ride yesterday "out in the county" and while riding outside the city, I didn't notice any loss of reception compared to the OEM antenna. I'm sure that at some point, the reception would begin to fade, but at 40 miles outside the city, it's fine.

You may have noticed that the one that I bought is an internal copper antenna that's rubber coated. They claim it has a little better reception than aluminum. That's the manufacturer's claim anyway.

At $34, not a big deal if it doesn't work out for you. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts