GL1800Riders Forums banner

Stubby Antenna Replacement for GL1800

24K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  beerman 
#1 ·
Recently, there have been a few threads on stubby antennas, so I thought I would post this pic.

I've never liked the looks of the stock whip antenna. Installed this black stubby today.

I can report that the signal reception while sitting in my driveway in town is strong. I don't know how this antenna effects reception on the highway away from cities, but I never listen to the radio, so I really don't care. I'm happy with the appearance. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QVZ2CK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

See less See more
#49 ·

I have one of the black stubby's until I started losing a fre high power output stations or they started getting fuzzy as I traveled up into the mountains. The length of the whip increases that reception even if they say the stubby is amplified.

#9 ·
I will try to post a pic. Never did that on a forum before. It will be good practice if the photo challenge thread ever gets started. I'm hoping it just blends in. I only listen to the radio when there is a game on. I mostly listen to audio books

#12 ·
Question on these stubby aerials.

Can you still use the folding joint.

I ask as I use a full cover when stored and a 1/2 cover when out and about overnight.
Where the cover goes over the joint there is not much extra room.

Thanks in advance.

Kiwi

#15 ·
Most don't interfere with the cover since they're rubber and flexible. The really stubby ones are aluminum and smooth, so as long as you're careful when installing the cover, you should be good. Also, the folding part of the setup is the part attached to the antenna itself, so when removed you're left with the base only.

#16 ·
Hello,
I just recently installed a stubby on my 07
But I’m having a hard time trying to post a picture of it. Any advice on how to post pictures on this forum would be appreciated
Thanks
Ralph

#17 · (Edited)
Click edit, scroll down to where you see "manage attachments" and click on one of the browse blocks. If this screen doesn't appear, click on the "go advanced" button and it will take you to the manage attachments screen. This will take you to your photos, select the photo you want to attach and click "open". That should return you to the browse screen, click upload. It will upload and when that's complete, you'll see the jpeg number appear. Click on the "close window" button which should take you back to the edit screen. Click "save" and your picture should appear in your post.

#18 ·
I am very interested in the antenna in the link provided by the OP. But reception is important to me, so I hope someone here can speak firsthand, as to how the stubby compares to the OEM whip antenna.

#20 ·
Joe, I went for a ride yesterday "out in the county" and while riding outside the city, I didn't notice any loss of reception compared to the OEM antenna. I'm sure that at some point, the reception would begin to fade, but at 40 miles outside the city, it's fine.

You may have noticed that the one that I bought is an internal copper antenna that's rubber coated. They claim it has a little better reception than aluminum. That's the manufacturer's claim anyway.

At $34, not a big deal if it doesn't work out for you. Go for it.

#23 ·
Will do. I have been riding within a 100 mile radius long enough now with the OEM antenna to pretty much predict when a local channel will fade, and a more distant one will come in. Should be easy to compare & contrast the stubby with the OEM.

#24 ·
Tried the stubby but with all of the PNW topographies, reception was impacted even around populated areas. Went the other direction. Got a taller antenna but in black.

#29 ·
My '06 original antenna hit the garage door going in & out. I cut ~3" off and made the end safe with multiple layers of shrink tubing. 13 years later and still working great.

#31 ·
Not sure about the brand.... Chinese Amazon merchant of some sort... I took the base off the bike and wrapped it in black vinyl auto wrap to match a larger color scheme..

Reactions: Cajunhog
#35 ·
Simple answer is no. Motorcycle cb antennas are at a disadvantage to begin with because of a lack of a good ground plane. And mobile CB antennas basically work line of sight so by putting on such a short antenna, it's not going to work real well. Maybe be able to talk only to the closest bikes by you but that will be about it. And then you may not be able to get the SWR low enough so it doesnt fry the finals on the CB transmitter.