GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to connect a TPMS to the accessory block on the fuse panel, I have found the screws to be so tight that I am afraid of stripping the threads. Is it safe to use penetrating oil or WD-40 on these screws? Can anyone suggest how to get them out without strippoing the heads?

·
Registered
38 Posts
BIG screwdriver
I'm not kidding, mine were very tight from the factory. Once I bkoke them loose they were ok.
Gool luck, Tom

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You need new screwdrivers made to JIS specifications.

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I used small vice grips. Position the handle in line with the screw.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
You need new screwdrivers made to JIS specifications.
I think a JIS screwdriver of the correct size may be the answer. If you don't have one, you can grind the tip off a Phillips to make one. Just grind the point down enough to make it flat. Doesn't take too much.

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws can be identified by a single dot, dimple or "x" to one side of the slot on the head of the screw. A JIS screw can be damaged with a Phillips screwdriver. It's best to get a set of JIS screwdrivers if you'll be doing much work on your bike.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Mine were also VERY tight. I have a set of JIS screw drivers that I use just about exclusively on the Wing. The bugger let go after some effort.

In trying to connect a TPMS to the accessory block on the fuse panel, I have found the screws to be so tight that I am afraid of stripping the threads. Is it safe to use penetrating oil or WD-40 on these screws? Can anyone suggest how to get them out without strippoing the heads?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. I did not know there was such a thing as a JIS screw. I'm on the way to the hardware store this afternoon.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Thanks for your help. I did not know there was such a thing as a JIS screw. I'm on the way to the hardware store this afternoon.
You may not be able to find them locally. Also check an auto supply house if your hardware/home improvement store does not have them. If you have to order online, there are numerous sources. This is a nice set. LINK

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you remember the old hand held impact that you put the socket or screw driver tip into, and then turned it in the direction you wanted to go until it stooped, then you hit it with a hammer to move it, [loose or tight]. Every one had one in their tool box, that is what I used, and it worked just fine....

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, if anyone else is looking for JIS screwdrivers, don't bother going to Lowes, Home Depot or Advance Store--none of them have heard of them. I have an impact driver that you hit with a hammer, but I'm hesitant to use it on something as delicate as the fuse box. Guess I'll have to order a set of JIS and wait to do the installation. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I also didn't want to use an impact driver on the fusebox, that is the reason I broke them loose with vice grips. I used a screwdriver to put the screws back in.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Interesting thread. I wouldn't know a JIS screwdriver if I tripped over, and I don't have a impact driver. What I do know is mine were damn tight, and with keeping constant pressure while turning they broke loose. Maybe I just got lucky. Wouldn't the tool kit, as bad as it is, have the right style screwdriver?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Look in the tool kit provided with the bike.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Interesting thread. I wouldn't know a JIS screwdriver if I tripped over, and I don't have a impact driver. What I do know is mine were damn tight, and with keeping constant pressure while turning they broke loose. Maybe I just got lucky. Wouldn't the tool kit, as bad as it is, have the right style screwdriver?
It does, but the handle is not built for leverage.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well, if anyone else is looking for JIS screwdrivers, don't bother going to Lowes, Home Depot or Advance Store--none of them have heard of them. I have an impact driver that you hit with a hammer, but I'm hesitant to use it on something as delicate as the fuse box. Guess I'll have to order a set of JIS and wait to do the installation. Thanks for all the comments.
Yep , do not be smacking the fuse box with a hammer and impact driver. Unless you want more problems.

Just take an ordinary screwdriver and lightly grind the tip , just a little, even a file will work. Take the sharp point off, but not too much, it will fit fine. Use a number two regular , dull the point a bit.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts