GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was backing my 2009 GL 1800 up a slight grade. The starter motor was not strong enough to continue backing. I turned off the ignition, got off the bike, checked for obstructions and got back on. I switched the ignition back on and was in reverse (reverse light illuminated). Now I am unable to rock the bike out of reverse and cannot get into neutral and consequently I cannot start the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
May need to get a helper to push on the front of the bike to fully remove load on the gear train to allow the reverse gear to disengage.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Oh man, this is a good question.... If you get the answer please let the rest of us know..:unsure:
Brother Cob has a good idea above , wish I live close'rrr to you to help..

Ronnie
11/24/22

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I was backing my 2009 GL 1800 up a slight grade. The starter motor was not strong enough to continue backing. I turned off the ignition, got off the bike, checked for obstructions and got back on. I switched the ignition back on and was in reverse (reverse light illuminated). Now I am unable to rock the bike out of reverse and cannot get into neutral and consequently I cannot start the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
Resolved.

·
GL1800 Doctor
22,032 Posts
What was the issue? Just stuck and binding?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I resolved it by having someone hold the handbrake down, I jacked the entire rear end up underneath the trailer hitch frame, then I rotated the wheels forward and backwards to free the gear systems and then I was able to put it in the neutral and and start the motorcycle. I was simply asking too much of the stock Honda starter motor.

·
GL1800 Doctor
22,032 Posts
I resolved it by having someone hold the handbrake down, I jacked the entire rear end up underneath the trailer hitch frame, then I rotated the wheels forward and backwards to free the gear systems and then I was able to put it in the neutral and and start the motorcycle. I was simply asking too much of the stock Honda starter motor.
Yea, it’s not very strong. I usually rev the engine a little if I’m backing up hill so the alternator can help the battery carry the load. Main thing to remember, never turn off the key while it’s in reverse unless you want it to stay where it’s at.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Yea, it’s not very strong. I usually rev the engine a little if I’m backing up hill so the alternator can help the battery carry the load. Main thing to remember, never turn off the key while it’s in reverse unless you want it to stay where it’s at.

Aaaaaa good info to know....Thank you (y)

Ronnie

11/24/22

Reactions: Jaydee
1 - 9 of 9 Posts