GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I decided to ride to the mall (about 35 miles). The temperature is about 25-27. The bike sat at the mall for about an hour and then I rode to best buy were it sat for about 15 minutes. I was getting ready to go home started the bike, pushed the reverse button and when I pushed the starter switch the bike quit running. I tried to push the reverse switch to turn the reverse back to neutral but it stayed in reverse. I tried everything, I rocked it, I disconect the battery, I called friends with goldwings, I even had my wife at home looking on the internet. I was trying to conserve the battery only turning the key on when I had a better idea when I decided to judge the battery voltage by the sound of the horn, it was very weak. So the starter killed the battery, sounded logical to me, so off to walmart I went for a new battery. The new battery didn't change the reverse light, still stuck, just maybe a little brighter. So if the battery is good the maybe it is in the switch. So off to lowes for a can of wd-40. I sprayed the switch, but no change. I wasn't sure what to do when the bike wouldn't even roll. I finaly got the idea to call two friends, one with a wrecker and one with a truck and trailer. I figured I could take the seat off and tie the wrecker straps to the frame and pick the rear wheel up and push it onto the trailer. While I was waiting I decided to split the switch box that the reverse switch sits in and spray wd-40 directly into the switch. After about 20 pushes of the switch the neutral light came on and the bike started.

Here's my questions,
Has anyone ever seen anything like this
Is there any way to over-ride the reverse if it sticks
Do you have any other ideas other than the battery and the switch both had problems
If there isn't an over-ride how do you move a wing that wont roll

·
Registered
741 Posts
Is this just a '02 model problem? It seems everytime I hear about it, it is an '02.

I have 3 friends, with '02 models, and so far only one has had this
problem. No other models I know of around here has had it.

Maybe it is just the time they have been alive. Later models may start eventually.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My reverse switch went south two weeks ago in the middle of nowhere. It took me at least 30 minutes to get it to release. I was almost ready to take it apart. A big panic attack!!!

The whole unit was replaced yesterday as a warranty item.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was stuck for about 3-3 1/2 hours, not fun. So if for some reason the switch quit altogether, is there anything a person could do on the side of the road to get it out of reverse?

·
Registered
358 Posts
There is a small "wire" in the very bottom of the switch that sometimes hangs. Sometimes you can spray with silicon and get it to release. Pressing in, the lifting up will sometimes cause it to release.

There has been comments about taking the switch apart and greasing, but lack of grease does not seem to be the real problem. It seems the nylon gets rough and causes the "wire" to hang sometimes. If stuck on side of road, remove the two screws holding the housing together, then open up the switch, remove that little bitty wire, then the switch will pop right out and stay out. Won't hang in no more!

That will get you home at least.

Fred, anyone else - could you just cut a couple of the wires to open the circuit allowing the reverse light to go off and run the bike? When the switch is replaced, they replace the wires also dont' they?

Ken H>

Ken H

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
KenH said:
... anyone else - could you just ...
new wing owner here ... but,

in the service manual trouble shooting section they talk about pulling out the reverse relay (in the grey box under the seat) and swapping it out with another relay when the reverse does not work ...

so ...
would it be as simple as just pulling out the reverse relay when it gets stuck in reverse due to a faulty switch? That should disengage the reverse actuator (under the right side cover).

Having said that, I'm not sure if that would interrupt the entire starter circuit ... but it may be worth a shot ...

next time I have the seat off I'll try it in the garage first.

Dennis

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
wingwing said:
KenH said:
... anyone else - could you just ...
new wing owner here ... but,

in the service manual trouble shooting section they talk about pulling out the reverse relay (in the grey box under the seat) and swapping it out with another relay when the reverse does not work ...

so ...
would it be as simple as just pulling out the reverse relay when it gets stuck in reverse due to a faulty switch? That should disengage the reverse actuator (under the right side cover).

Having said that, I'm not sure if that would interrupt the entire starter circuit ... but it may be worth a shot ...

next time I have the seat off I'll try it in the garage first.

Dennis
Looking at the circuit, the reverse switch, when stuck in the reverse mode(pushed in) it removes power from the coil of the reverse relay, de-energizing it. That removes the ground path for the coil of starter relay "A". So if you remove the reverse relay you would have to short the relay's connector pins 1&2 just to get the ground path for the coil of starter relay "A". Then there's the other side of the reverse switch which is sending power to the reverse control module. The only easy way to remove this power would be to pull fuse #10. So, pull the reverse relay, short pins 1&2 of it's connector, and pull fuse #10. Of course that would be too easy. Pulling fuse #10 will kill the power to the reverse shift relay #1, which will kill both #2 & #3 reverse shift relays, which in turn would kill the actuator motor. So after you pull the fuse you will have to pull the #1 reverse shift relay and short it's connector pins #1 & #2. Will that work? who knows, it's too cold (15 degrees) for me to play with it. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts