GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a courtesy warning to who might have installed HIDs of any type.

I'm on day one of my trek from RI via DC to Bourbon trail country in kentucky. Made our short dinner stop for a quick Burger a McDonald's at 5:45.

Afterward, got all suited up and asked the wife see what my headlights looked like as the front seemed really dim. Well, they were
Both dead as doornails. Lows were dead, highs were ok. I contemplated running the highs for the remaining 130 miles but I figured that would get me stopped. for another bad reason.

I took the fuse cover off. Sure enough the 15 was burnt. Just as a fluke, I tested a new one. Saw arc and burn now that darkness was settling in.

That brought me to tearing the trim and pocket out to check the first ballast. it all looked go, no frays. no high temps. disconnected all the leads. put a new fuse in. it stayed healthty. started the bike up and the one still all together was lit and working.

Then I plugged just the loose ballast back in, the light went dead and the fuse shorted.

Luckily I made up my hid wiring to be retain use of the stock bukbs AND i carry two stock bulbs. This saved my day. I'm also luck I mounted the ballasts where its realatively easy To remove.

I'm thinking I just run two different bulbs for the trip OR I see if autoz or advance has a 35w z4500k in stock

if I didn't keep the original wiring to support h7 and do the easy mount ballast location, I'd have been asking for a tow instead my gin n tonic after the ride.

Now for those whoever might ask two things: 1. did you leave for trip without doing tclock? We did the check. another lows were making my highs jealous at 8 this mining.

2. why carryy hid spares instead? I was on the fence with carrying hid ballasts and bulbs . I'm still not sure which side land on.

I am going to see if a local store has my parts without wanting my first born. DDM was inexpensive and has reviews for two tests. you just need a plan for any failure. ok now where both suited, backing out, usibg loplisided lighting lighting my path for the two hours trip to the hotel.

THEN someone walks over to the crazy tired aggitated Guy on the funny light configuration and ask for jumper cables. My started saying no, not knowing I do keep a set. She looked at me and I said this will be us in two years where some will be to help me when I really need it and not offer.

That's not right and not what I'd want to be done to me. Pay it. Forward.....

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Bummer on your luck! Trade 'em in for a set of GoldwingHID's and you'll be good to go! Ya get what ya pay for, I suppose . . . :shrug:

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
luck of the draw

Congratulations Jim, you just won the "luck of the draw" lottery.

Ain't it a B***ch when you buy something and it breaks?

Like you, I have DDMtuning HIDs, and so does my riding partner. One of his ballasts was electrically noisy, would show up when transmitting on the CB/FRS. We figured it out, DDMTuning replaced with no hassle (lifetime warranty).

I personally don't think it is an inherent issue with the HIDs from ddmtuning, because looking at the pictures of the HIDs from the other vendors, most of them look identical to the ones from ddm. I think you just happened to get lucky and get one of the few that fail. Mass production now-a-days means that the majority of items will be built with a consistent level of quality. Unfortunately, sometimes one slips thru.

Like you, we both have kept our original H7s in the little plastic case that came with the HIDs as a just in case like you experienced, or if we come across someone else in need.

Like you said - we never know when we may be on the receiving end of someone else's kindness - so do what you can when you can. You never know when you may need the favor returned.

Glad things worked out for you. (And thank goodness for spare fuses - eh?)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The HIDs have been great so far and lasted close to 5,000 miles. I think it is luck of the draw and not hing more. Just a pain when 400 miles from home on day one of our 10 day trip.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Bummer on your luck! Trade 'em in for a set of GoldwingHID's and you'll be good to go! Ya get what ya pay for, I suppose . . . :shrug:
So because you pay three times more, they should be better? Is that how you you're able to justify the claim that the the other ones are better, because they three times more expensive? They're made in China just like the DDM Tuning lights. The big difference is, we didn't get gouged. :lol::roll:

Jim, sorry you got a bad one. IT happens. Even if the company was following the Six Sigma methodology of manufacturing, a bad one can still slip though. Good thing you installed them like you did. Makes it easy to switch back to the OEM's in a pinch.

I've had mine now for about a year, 14,000+ miles and they're still working great. It's nice having that Lifetime warranty. DDM Tuning will take care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts