GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, what is the reasoning or where did the idea of carrying a stuffed animal on your trunk rack originate from.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hedo said:
I think it started with Bulldog.........before he met Meesh !! :lol:
Now just where were you headed with that :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

I asked the same question to some older Wing riders and their answer was it started in the GWRRA several years ago as a way someone could be identified while on his bike. Does this have any merit? Use your own judgement. Maybe some older GWRRA member on here can testify one way or the other.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'm gonna go with the Bulldog thing :lol: Tim

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Pedofile bait or GAY :D

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
They reinforce the image that the Goldwing is an old man's bike. :oops:

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Wanderer said:
They reinforce the image that the Goldwing is an old man's bike. :oops:
I don't think so. I know a guy in his 30s with a Shrek on the back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do think it comes from GWRRA. When I was living in Washington most all of the chapters there had animals as mascots. For example GWRRA-WA-A had an 'A'pe for a mascot. Lots of Apes on the backs of those bikes. During the time I was with them they proved to me that they were a riding chapter, Apes on the bikes notwithstanding.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Back in the 80s, when I had my first Wing (at 25 or 26), it was a mascot type of thing projecting a "friendlier" image than the HD biker image. I will admit I had a "Biker Taz" on the luggage rack on my 84 GL1200 and then had a "Hawaiian Taz" (seems to be a theme here 8) ) on the GL1800 when I had it over in Hawaii. Most of the people I rode with in San Diego knew me as "Taz" way back then. I have not put a "mascot" on the 05 and have no plans to, different time, different attitude.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Once when I was 16-17 I tied on the back of a Suzuki 500 one of those 4' tall stuffed critters you can win by throwing $32.50 worth of nickles into a glass jar to give it to a girlfriend .

Young, dumb and in love...I was guilty of all three.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but I just heard this funny joke about stuffed animals and think you'll enjoy.

A young lady meets a young man. On the second date she ends up at his apartment. When she looks into his bedroom, the walls are lined with stuffed animals. She thinks to herself that she has finally found a sensitive man.

A couple of hours later they are laying in bed, after doing the deed, and she quietly says, "How was I?"

He thinks for a minute and says, "You can choose from the middle shelf."

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
My S.O. gave me something similar to this one christmas. I ate the candy it held, and decided to put it on the spoiler and use it as my "Guardian Angel".

And yes, I put an average of 500-1000 miles on the Wing over the winter.
One of my co-workers (over 70 yrs old) asked me about that 'monkey' on the back of my bike. LOL !!!

I just told him, "It's a good thing that you work here instead of at the zoo, coz you would've been fired years ago". :lol:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't know where it came from but if I ever get to the point that I put one on my bike will yall please just go ahead and shoot me right away.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
JokerGuy said:
I don't know where it came from but if I ever get to the point that I put one on my bike will yall please just go ahead and shoot me right away.
I agree totally. Just shoot me when that happens.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Some one got a ticket for having a live animal on his rack,,he was told that it was illegal,,,,,,so he started puting stuffed animals on there so that he wouldn't get another ticket! :idea:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
JokerGuy said:
Here here!

I've seen Harleys with them too... If you search the archives on the GWRRA boards, you find all sorts of interesting posts about hawks and eagles (out west anyway) stooping down and trying to snatch various stuffed animals from the backs of motorcycles...

Hell, I saw a gold wing in bethesda once with a marine sgt-major sticker on the trunk and a marine teddy bear mounted on the rack... I tried to keep a straight face as I walked by.. ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a co pilot named Marbles. Just havin' some fun.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've had a Harley Bulldog mascot named "Twig" on my Harleys for several years. I have a friend who has a rubber duck on her Kaw. The mascot thing covers all brands.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts