GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 lvl 1
52,000 miles

Noise gets worse the faster the bike goes.

Bike on stand... anywhere above 30 mph... shut bike off while clutch is pulled in so rear end spools down... we hear a very loud clicking. Kinda sounds like gears haven't fully disengauged.

One theory... driveshaft u-joint has partially or fully failed and is allowing he driveshaft to slap againt the inside of the swingarm.

Noise is not there under accelleration.

Noise is there under riding conditions when bike is decellerating or clutch is pulled in for gear change.

·
Vendor
18,153 Posts
If I get that right, the noise is there when rear tire spinning not under load above 30 mph or while decelerating from that speed? And it there on centerstand also, is all that correct?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Wow Doug hope you get that fixed SOON.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like you have a close pin with a card on it.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Sounds like "Wheel Of Fortune" :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Wheel Bearings?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup

Hey yeah! I just spoke to him and told him the same exact thing! :agree:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Find you a final drive and swap it out quickly. Should be plenty down there.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Find you a final drive and swap it out quickly. Should be plenty down there.
Bike is under warranty... we'll see what dealer say tomorrow.

I have a complete rear end back in my garage in FL. Go figure.

Rocky --- what does :roll: mean? Winger need some help and that's all ya have to say? At least make some kinda comment that might give a laugh or something. Sheesh.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Can you feel anything when you rotate it by hand with the transmission in neutral and the engine shutdown?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... hits keep coming. Weather folks say the litte storm in the Atlantic is expected to hit Jacksonville, FL (home) as a Category 1 Hurricane THIS Friday.

GREAT... more yard work for me to do. sheesh

I will letcha know more on the bike as we figure it out.

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
DJ, like the post above, the bubble gum card and cloths pin comes to mind; that is, I don't think that is a sound coming from within the final drive case. Checking the simple things first, inspect the drive shaft boot. Then inspect the wheel well to see if some drbrid or cycle part is rubbing up in there. Then inspect the brake caliper and shoes/spring tensioning clips.

Best of luck, pard.

prs

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJ, like the post above, the bubble gum card and cloths pin comes to mind; that is, I don't think that is a sound coming from within the final drive case. Checking the simple things first, inspect the drive shaft boot. Then inspect the wheel well to see if some drbrid or cycle part is rubbing up in there. Then inspect the brake caliper and shoes/spring tensioning clips.

Best of luck, pard.

prs
Nothing hitting or rubbing in wheel well. Brake not the problem. This is from inside the final drive... we think. Very confident. Leaving for dealer shortly

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
any residual or co-lateral debris jammed in the drivetrain someplace
from where you hit and went airborne last week?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
2007 lvl 1
52,000 miles

Noise gets worse the faster the bike goes.

Bike on stand... anywhere above 30 mph... shut bike off while clutch is pulled in so rear end spools down... we hear a very loud clicking. Kinda sounds like gears haven't fully disengauged.

One theory... driveshaft u-joint has partially or fully failed and is allowing he driveshaft to slap againt the inside of the swingarm.

Noise is not there under accelleration.

Noise is there under riding conditions when bike is decellerating or clutch is pulled in for gear change.
Doug,

I have this same noise also, I took my little girl to the Honda store after trying everything I could think of and they told me that the wings have a floating drive shaft and all do it...

So being me as I am I asked for them to prove it..

They did, they took two wings that had just been worked on and, as you and me put them up on the center stand and sure enough they did it also, one was louder than mine, so I again being me ask are new ones like this too, they were kind enough to pull a new 2012 off the show room floor and sure enough it did it too...

I still put a brand new rear end and drive shaft in her and sure enough she still does it, but only wile the rear wheel if free with no load on it going down the road she doesn’t make that noise....

I would find it hard to except that I had a bad rear end and or drive shaft/universal and I replaced them with brand new bad units..

Unlike yours mine or the others I’ve heard make this noise they did not make this noise wile cursing or letting off???

Check for vibration in your left mirror, if some, it more than likely the universal, in none it may be inside the transmission case???

PR suggested rotating the wheel to see if you can feel any crunching, good idea...

If it’s in the rear end you should be able to hear and feel it as you turn the wheel pretty easy, if it’s in the universal it will be a faster and less felt feel and noise???

I’ve both told and ask others to do this same experiment and so far everyone says there’s do it also...

Again as FH says, more than likely you’re going to end up at a Honda store...

I’m sure that someone will have one that doesn’t make this noise, but everyone that I’ve listened to does...

I don’t know what to tell you as to why except that it must be built into out wings to do this???

Good luck Doug...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts