GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2004 goldwing new and have riden it very little. My wife wanted it I didnt. In the mean time I have lost my job 3 times struggled to keep my house and am finally able to enjoy it. I am 6-4 and bought a tulsa tall windshield for it custom seat spoiler and down turn pipes. I went and bought a olympia airglide jacket this weekend so I could actyually ride it in bad weater but here in lies the rub. I found that during a brief rainstorm i was blind driving it because the rain covered my field of view. I am sure I am being an idiot here but if your forced to look through the winshield does anyone have any advice on this.

Thank you,

Don

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
use a oem shield and look over in the rain
no issues

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The only realistic advice I have is a shield you have to look through is quite simply under some conditions dangerous.

Fog, heavy rain, light rain with large trucks blowing road grime all over you, simply fact, you cannot see.

A short shield you look over and a good face shield on a good modular or full helmet is the best. At the most you simply tilt your head back a bit and the air flow clears the face shield.

Not what most like to hear, just fact.

Any tall shield under some conditions becomes dangerous.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Took my Tulsa off for that very reason. Put the stock one back on, put my full face helmet on, and took off that very day for a 100 mile ride in the rain.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I believe someone makes a windshield wiper for the Wing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, my advise is a little different. Purchase an F-4 windshield that is just 2 inches taller than stock. You can see thru it in the rain and you can keep it clean with Windex and a paper towel. They shed water like a Duck's back. They are even clearer than a new stock shield. I would not install a Tulsa on my bike of it was free. I don't like the way they lean back. It is the best shield I have ever had on any bike I have owned.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The conditions you describe are about the toughest to be riding in

I have aF4 windshield and was riding in torrential downpours this past weekend...I was able to look through the windshield as it deflected the rain far better than the oem shield

The visibility was limited of course due to the poor conditions, but I found it better to look through this windshiled than to look over it

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I believe someone makes a windshield wiper for the Wing.
Honda does ... the GL1800 in Japan comes with one ... it may be the law there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, my advise is a little different. Purchase an F-4 windshield that is just 2 inches taller than stock. You can see thru it in the rain and you can keep it clean with Windex and a paper towel. They shed water like a Duck's back. They are even clearer than a new stock shield. I would not install a Tulsa on my bike of it was free. I don't like the way they lean back. It is the best shield I have ever had on any bike I have owned.:thumbup:
Plus 4 for me...and I love it for all the same reasons stated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I never liked looking thru the windshield, particularly in the rain. I have a standard length windshield at the lowest setting. On longer trips or when I know there is going to be rain, I wear a Nolan 3/4 with a shield. It's a great helmet!! Because of the heat in AZ. I wear an open face half helmet most of the time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
F4 Customs

I agree about the F4 customs shield. Get the one that's 2 inches taller than OEM. All the way up and you're looking comfortably through it. At 6-4 you can then lower it in the rain and look over. But the F4 is so darn clear and sheds water so well it's fine to look through. The fact that you can clean it with Rain-X or Windex is also key.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm 6'4 1/2". IMO, If I set the windshield height so that I can just barely see over it, most of the rain will go over you because of windshield flow directing it that way. Looking thru both a windshield and face shield is pretty tough for me.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Make sure your windshield is clean. I have been known to stop and clean my windshield in the rain. I prefer Plexus. If its raining too hard I put the windshield down and look over it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Rain-X , or Lemon Pledge:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Tusla screens? No Rain-x etc ? :shrug: Why buy it?

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Aerostich (and other distributors) sell a water squeegee that has a velcro strap that goes around a finger which you can use to periodically clear a region near the top of the windshield. I use it all the time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A had a similar issue when I first purchased my bike and was ready to give up riding in the rain all together. I tried sprays, waxes, wipes, the "Le Wipe" wiper blade (what a piece of crap!), half helmets, 3/4 helmets, goggles, glasses, windscreen up, windscreen down and everything in between. The only solution that I could come up with after much discussion with fellow riders, was to have the windshield lowered to allow me to see over it and have a good helmet with a good fog free lens such as the Nolan N3 with the anti fog liner or the Multitech with a Fog City insert. Since finding that combination, albeit simple; I have put thousands of fun filled miles on the bike in the rain including Americade during torrential downpours. I maybe nuts, but I actually enjoy riding in the rain now.

Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I also have a Tulsa-Tall. At 6'0", I can't look over the windshield without standing up on the pegs. I haven't had much problem with rain, but when the windshield fogs up, it is impossible to see through.

I plan on replacing it the next time I do an update to the bike - but for now the S-210 cleaner and 210+ polish keep the rain off and helps a little bit with the fog...

I do like the Tulsa windscreens and may replace it with a normal height one (although that's not carved in stone). The buffeting my co-rider experienced with the OEM screen is non-existent with the Tulsa screens - and as the saying goes - when Mama's happy, everyone's happy...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I couldn't count the number of times I've been caught in downpours, and that's bad when you have a problem such as mine. I have a incredible amount of trouble stopping, except when the fuel light has been on for a 1/2 hour or so,
To deal with rain, I have my stock windshield sitting at a height where I can look over it without problems, but it's just the right height to deflect the wind over my helmet. I ride with the visor of my "convertible" helmet up at all times except in downpours. When it starts to rain, I remove my sunglasses and close the visor.
I will admit that I have actually had to pull over twice (in the same storm) as the rain was coming down so hard I couldn't see ... visor was fine, windshield was fine ... the rain was just that heavy.
PS ... works well when you remember to put anti-fog on the visor, windshield and glasses.
I'm thinking I need to post the Post Office motto on the back of the bike "neither rain nor snow nor dead of night ..."

1 - 20 of 41 Posts