GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want the HP Laptop to talk to my printer in the next room. I understand the concepts with Bluetooth, use it with cellphone and earpiece. Question is can I buy two BT dongle/adapters of the same make/model with one in the laptop and the other in the usb port of the printer and basically be off to the races?? (with drivers loaded of course)

Bradford

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't know anything about bluetooth, but I use the laser printer connected to my desktop, from my laptop in the kitchen, using wireless.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
24 Carat said:
So, I want the HP Laptop to talk to my printer in the next room. I understand the concepts with Bluetooth, use it with cellphone and earpiece. Question is can I buy two BT dongle/adapters of the same make/model with one in the laptop and the other in the usb port of the printer and basically be off to the races?? (with drivers loaded of course)

Bradford
Some of the newer laptops and printers already have bluetooth built in. Otherwise you can buy two dongles and as long as you set one to discover and the other to enable connections, you should be good to go. Your laptop will need to search and discover the printer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, the bluetooth adapters would work, but that is about as far as you could take it. If it is a new laptop, it may have bluetooth. Just search for "wireless printer" at any major retail store.

Since you have a laptop and can move around, I think a wireless network and a wireless print driver would give you more flexibility and less frustration.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Golden Wing said:
Yes, the bluetooth adapters would work, but that is about as far as you could take it. If it is a new laptop, it may have bluetooth. Just search for "wireless printer" at any major retail store.

Since you have a laptop and can move around, I think a wireless network and a wireless print driver would give you more flexibility and less frustration.
Yeah, that would be great if I had Highspeed. Let's just say when the leaves are on the trees . . . . . I have no neighbors.

We live on the "Rural" side of a "Rural Town".

I'll be tickled with 3 kps as long as I don't have to drag it in the other room everytime I want to print something.

Bradford

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bluetooth has a very limited range. It is known as a PAN, Personal Area Network. I doubt that it will work through walls to the next room.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one I'm researching is V 2.0 with an advertised range of 300 feet that reviews say is more like 150' max. One guy said at 25' it was going through two wood frame walls.

Bradford

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would use a wireless print server connected to the printer and wireless network adapter on the laptop. both using 802.11b or g

·
Registered
21 Posts
HP has several models with WiFi built in

I use a OfficeJet 7410xi. It has WiFi built in. Computers attached to my router, either through WiFi or directly connected, see this printer on the network (using HP's drivers and administration software) and can print on it.

It is also possible to use this device as a scanner, fax machine and, if I remember correctly food processor.

·
Registered
569 Posts
NovellRed said:
Bluetooth has a very limited range. It is known as a PAN, Personal Area Network. I doubt that it will work through walls to the next room.
I use a long range bluetooth USB adaptor on my computer (located on the second floor of my house) and have no problems making a connection with my iPaq on the first floor. I can print from the iPaq to the printer with no problem.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Go to the web site of your printer company, most web sites will list if their printers can be addressed by wireless method. My printer can not be addressed using wireless, the correct codes will not be transmitted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts