GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding out that accessories for Goldwings are not as cheap as for my 1100 Shadow I owned. No way am I going to pay $50+ dollars for a cup holder.

While installing my ram mounts I found a ram cup holder for $13.95. Perfect. I installed it. For holding a coke can I think the holder would work fine...I only drink water while riding and the water bottle makes the holder top heavy so it tips over...don't like that at all.

The good thing is I was trying to figure out a way to add a cup holder to the arm rest for my wife. I finally bought a bicycle water bottle holder from Wally World....made a bracket that bolts to the under side of the armrest and then bolted the water bottle rack to it. PERFECT and doesn't look bad.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Alloy-Bicycle-Bottle-Silver/dp/B001NGF4U6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1234355361&sr=1-11"]
[/ame]

Now I'm thinking of getting some longer bolts that hold the clutch resivoir on and add one of the bicycle bottle holders to the left handlebar where the ram mount would bolt.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I too was put off by the price of the butler cup and never thought I would buy one. That attitude was softened up considerably after several all day rides in searing heat.

·
Registered
855 Posts
$50 coffee cup holder

No way am I going to pay $50+ dollars for a cup holder.

...yea but, think how neat the 'wing wouild look with the $50 cup holder...

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
The Butler is butt ugly but I use it because it is the best

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I spent the $50 and am glad I did. A nice large mug of cold water available by just leaning forward has made many a hot ride a lot more enjoyable. I had to lenghten the straw so that my helmet visor didn't block my vision while drinking. Would that be a drinking while driving accident?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
+1 here too on the Butler Mug!

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm finding out that accessories for Goldwings are not as cheap as for my 1100 Shadow I owned. No way am I going to pay $50+ dollars for a cup holder.

While installing my ram mounts I found a ram cup holder for $13.95. Perfect. I installed it. For holding a coke can I think the holder would work fine...I only drink water while riding and the water bottle makes the holder top heavy so it tips over...don't like that at all.

The good thing is I was trying to figure out a way to add a cup holder to the arm rest for my wife. I finally bought a bicycle water bottle holder from Wally World....made a bracket that bolts to the under side of the armrest and then bolted the water bottle rack to it. PERFECT and doesn't look bad.

Now I'm thinking of getting some longer bolts that hold the clutch resivoir on and add one of the bicycle bottle holders to the left handlebar where the ram mount would bolt.

I have one like the bicycle holder that has suction cups where the bolt holes are and stick it to the left side of my tank. The only problem I have is that I can only put a 16 ounce bottle of water in it. I don't mind paying but I want a good cup holder.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:try adding a little weight to the bottom of the ram mount holder. i have one and am going to try that.:p

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Its just you. I prefer to stop for about 5 minutes and get an ice cold water bottle out of the cooler that i carry in the back

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
I use a Butler. Yes it's to much money, but once installed, problem solved. My Wife told me it is to much, so I installed a flimsey little add on , on her arm rest for her. It bounces, and the arms that hold the cup lets go. What a bunch of junk. I tried to order her a butler the other day and she had a fit. I understand it's hard to spend the money, but I like to put problems behind me.:shrug:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nothing like riding in July - August with and ICE drink right at your finger tips...Butler worth every penny in cost.

JMHO

·
Registered
707 Posts
We tried everything to avoid the ugly Butlers. Now we have Butlers on both of our Wings. The others just don't work for any big or tall drink. I will take function over beauty in this case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ram Mount Drink Holder

I wasn't happy either when I used the Ram Mount drink holder. I modified the holder by drilling out the cup pivot pins and installed stainless hardware with nylock nuts so cup won't swing around. I added a lockwasher to the swivel that connects to the ball to eliminate movement there also. Now I can carry my 32 ounce water bottle or fastfood drink cup with no spilling.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
When i bought my 04 used it had a cup already on it mounted on the handle bar. Every one that saw it loved it and wanted to know where I got it. I looked on all the sites and couldn't find another one like it. So I googled the name turns out it is a bicycle holder just like yours in the picture and the one you can buy at walmart. And is mounted on the handle bar At the clutch resivoir. Mine just has the one bolt holding it on and does fine. Now all my friends have went out and got them one too. some went ahead and drilled the second hole. But it works just and looks good and is cheap

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts

please post about the ram cup mount after you use it for a while

i want to hear how it tips over, spills drinks on your bike, and basicaly doesnt work

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Nothing like riding in July - August with and ICE drink right at your finger tips...Butler worth every penny in cost.

JMHO
+1 I wasted enough money buying junk to avoid paying $50 for a Butler that I would have saved if I had just bought the Butler first. Nothing better than a COLD drink of water on a hot summer day. And it doesn't spill. Or tip over. Or fall out.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Yes the Butler cup is expensive,I purchased my 03'wing used in 06' with a butler cup.
When the time comes for a new or newer wing that will be one of the first options.
The Butler cup looks ugly,until you've been riding all day 400-1100 miles.Then that Butler cup is the prettist thing on the wing(ice cold H2O):thumbup:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Spend $75 on multiple cup holders that don't work or spend $50 on a Butler that works like a charm............

Easy decision for me. :thumbup:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I'm using a $10 water bottle holder from a bicycle shop that holds water bottles or coffee travel mugs equally well (on right handlebar):

1 - 20 of 32 Posts